European Chess Club Cup

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: European Chess Club Cup

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:. Do any of these so called 'club teams' actually play together in any other events apart from this one?
I believe it to be part of the rules of the event. Many National leagues, including the 4NCL, have GMs who play in several different leagues in different countries. Adams for example is playing for Baden Baden in this event, but plays several other national competitions. Where they play can be established from the rating records at the FIDE site.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
David Robertson wrote:For heaven's sake! Some of those 'club' teams could win the Olympiad :shock:
I've been wondering about this. Do any of these so called 'club teams' actually play together in any other events apart from this one?
Teams qualify for the event through their national league, they often stipulate that the team must have finished in the top half of the league although in reality they will let federations send up to three teams provided they can verify their squad list and that any foreign players have played at least twice for that team in the previous season.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:52 pm

And 'foreign' means someone from Lancashire in the White Rose team. As if that would ever happen! :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:http://chess-results.com/tnr82751.aspx?art=3&rd=6&lan=1 Nakamura is the player with the task of trying to stop Simon's winning run today.
http://www.ecc2012-chesseilat.com/live/ ... und6/OP10/

Round six is underway and Nakamura has played the French Exchange :o

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 pm

I see Nakamura is running scared. Has transposed from 1 d4 into a French Exchange against Simon Williams!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Presumably then he wanted to play the Exchange French but not the possibility of facing a Sicilian. Nothing quite kills the joy of a player on a winning run like facing the French Exchange. White certainly has some edge and maybe Williams regrets not having played 1...f5

Andrew Stone

Post by Andrew Stone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Presumably then he wanted to play the Exchange French but not the possibility of facing a Sicilian. Nothing quite kills the joy of a player on a winning run like facing the French Exchange. White certainly has some edge and maybe Williams regrets not having played 1...f5
Indeed. Wonder if Simon doesn't like a particular Dutch sideline? I guess Nakamura has it well within him to veer off from the mainlines- didn't he once play 1 e4 e5 2 Qh5? My running scared comment was tongue-in-cheek. These killjoy lines are not only open to the lower rated player- witness Carlsen using the Exchange Winawer the other day. Anyway the Exchange French has ample scope to be "interesting", but Simon does seem to have opted for a rather passive option. Overall I expect Nakamura is pretty happy with his opening choice now.

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Simon always plays 1...e6, I have a feeling it's because he doesn't enjoy facing 2. Bg5.

Nakamura is better now I think with the two bishops and weaknesses on the e-file, I predict 23. b3 Bd5 24. f3, threatening Re7 and maybe a2-a4-a5.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Naka even played 1e4 c5 2Qh5?! once - though he got a bit of a hammering that time. The 1e4 e5 2Qh5 game was only lost by him after a long struggle.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:Simon always plays 1...e6, I have a feeling it's because he doesn't enjoy facing 2. Bg5.

Not always always - there was a famous Gormally-Williams game with 1 d4 f5 2 Bg5, was there not? (1-0, 14, or something like it)

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 pm

John Cox wrote:
Simon Ansell wrote:Simon always plays 1...e6, I have a feeling it's because he doesn't enjoy facing 2. Bg5.

Not always always - there was a famous Gormally-Williams game with 1 d4 f5 2 Bg5, was there not? (1-0, 14, or something like it)
You're right, I should have said "usually plays". The game you refer to is definitely an argument for 1...e6, though!

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Naka even played 1e4 c5 2Qh5?! once - though he got a bit of a hammering that time. The 1e4 e5 2Qh5 game was only lost by him after a long struggle.
I punted 1 e4 c5 2 Qh5 once in a serious game earlier this year. I got away with a draw after finding that my queen (surprise) was misplaced and having to grovel for most of the game.

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Nakamura's now won, rather quicker than I was expecting. A shame, because Simon actually had the joint highest score on board one before that game. There may still be an outside chance of a medal if he can win tomorrow.

edit: Naka has overtaken him with that win, so a medal seems unlikely, unfortunately.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Andrew Stone wrote:Anyway the Exchange French has ample scope to be "interesting"....

Indeed so.