Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Leonard Barden

Re: Junior squad/Kasparov simul in 1986

Post by Leonard Barden » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote:
Nick Thomas wrote: I thought white shirt boy might be Dave Norwood but not certain that the hair is exactly right. I think it is too high a board for Phil Morris who would have been about 200 grade at the time.
As stated above, Peter Wells.
I agree, I was talking about the boy over Kasparov's left shoulder in the corner position.
From the seating, that's board 1 and IM (later GM) James Howell, though I wouldn't instantly recognise him from the picture alone. As I wrote earlier in this thread

Kasparov asked for a team list and half an hour to prepare before the start. He was pleased with his result and particularly his win over James Howell on board 1 ("that's strong international master!").

Martin Hazelton

Post by Martin Hazelton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:34 pm

James Coleman wrote:Not as much info as you wanted but a different picture from the same simul with Kasparov playing Stuart Conquest is on the front cover of a book I have called Kasparov Teaches Chess. The person in your photo above can also be seen on the book from a different angle.
I don't think it is the same simul, James. The simul from the cover of "Kasparov Teaches Chess" is with clocks; the one in the photo that I posted is not timed.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Martin Hazelton wrote:
James Coleman wrote:Not as much info as you wanted but a different picture from the same simul with Kasparov playing Stuart Conquest is on the front cover of a book I have called Kasparov Teaches Chess. The person in your photo above can also be seen on the book from a different angle.
I don't think it is the same simul, James. The simul from the cover of "Kasparov Teaches Chess" is with clocks; the one in the photo that I posted is not timed.
And, the floor is different. Kasparov Teaches Chess
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Can someone start a team list...pretty please
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 pm

The above would most probably be the 1984 satellite simul where Kasparov played five juniors in London over the board and five in New York by satellite. Michael Adams (who drew) and Cathy Forbes were also in the England quintet. Ray Keene chose the players and his original list did not include Adams, but he was persuaded when I told him this was a talent comparable to Short.

Sarah de Lisle

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 pm

Ah yes I spot Pete Wells now.

The boy in the black T shirt in front of the camera man - I know him but can't think of his name, ggrr.

Jonathan - we must've done different Keene simuls. My strongest opponent was Nigel Short, when i was about 18. Mandie Hepworth and I collaborated against him and still came to a gruesome end.

Sarah de Lisle

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Thank you Paul! That's him.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Martin Hazelton wrote:
Good point yes, sorry - though the person in your photo was playing in the other simul as well as he can clearly be seen on the book.

Martin Hazelton

Post by Martin Hazelton » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 am

James Coleman wrote:
Martin Hazelton wrote:
Good point yes, sorry - though the person in your photo was playing in the other simul as well as he can clearly be seen on the book.
Despite the similar hair cuts (very 80s), I suspect that it's not the same person. The photo on the cover of "Kasparov Teaches Chess" (a good version of which is visible at http://www.scribd.com/doc/7501390/Kaspa ... ches-Chess for anoyne who wants a look) might be Gary Lane. Whoever it was, he is unlikely to have gone from selection for a ten-board simul against Kasparov in 1984 to playing board 11 in a simul in 1986.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 am

Yes it's Gary Lane.

Sarah de Lisle

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Update from Australia - I sent the photo to Gary L and he says it is definitely not him, wrong clothes and more importantly wrong opening!

He recalls playing in the satellite NY London simul.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Sarah de Lisle wrote:Update from Australia - I sent the photo to Gary L and he says it is definitely not him, wrong clothes and more importantly wrong opening!

He recalls playing in the satellite NY London simul.
Agreed. It's this one I'm saying is him. I think it is the NY/London one:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7501390/Kaspa ... ches-Chess

If it's not Gary then it must be one of those old fangled 80s pop stars.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Sarah de Lisle wrote:Jonathan - we must've done different Keene simuls. My strongest opponent was Nigel Short, when i was about 18. Mandie Hepworth and I collaborated against him and still came to a gruesome end.

Ah yes, Mandy Hepworth - whatever happened to her?? Was regarded as one of our brightest prospects back in the day.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Sarah de Lisle

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Sorry Nick - I meant it's not Gary on Martin's photo.

Def Gary on the book cover - sporting the Miami Vice 1980s sticking up collar look.

Sarah de Lisle

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Matt - Mandie was a good friend of mine throughout the 1980s though we lost touch after university. She was, annoyingly, slightly better than me, so we were always fighting it out for England places and so forth.

Peter Barton was Mandie's teacher, would love to know what happened to him - he took us to many tournaments and was excellent company.