Bullying at chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Patrick McGovern

Bullying at chess

Post by Patrick McGovern » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I did not think it possible in the genteel game of chess but I have witnessed games where an adult has tried to intimidate their junior opponent; one by repeatedly offering a draw in an aggressive manner (when the adult was clearly lost). The other example was the adult staring non stop at their opponent in order to put them off.
Has anyone else came across such bad behaviour?
A rook on the second is like a bone in the throat - Fischer

Ray Sayers

Re: Bullying at chess

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 pm

It's so common I have lost count of incidents I have witnessed.

If the victim has their wits they can simply complain to the Arbiter. I find it most common in junior tournaments. Adults vs Junior is particularly low behaviour, though!

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:06 pm

I can't say that I have experienced bullying during over-the-board games, but it does happen sometimes in online chess; certain players make abusive comments during a game in order to distract their opponents, particularly when playing blitz. The simplest solution is just to turn off the chat function.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 pm

I have personally experienced very aggressive moves being played against me. To make matters worse, sometimes opponents slam down the attacking piece with a firm thud. Often this aggression has been relentless throughout the game. To make matters worse, some opponents hardly spend any time on the clock - I suspect these attacks had been premeditated. I admit I become stressed and irrational - I panic and finally submit to their devious ways. This bullying must stop.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Patrick McGovern wrote:I did not think it possible in the genteel game of chess but I have witnessed games where an adult has tried to intimidate their junior opponent; one by repeatedly offering a draw in an aggressive manner (when the adult was clearly lost). The other example was the adult staring non stop at their opponent in order to put them off.
I've seen this kind of behaviour several times before. I guess the attitude of the adult is that if they're sat opposite, they are old enough to be subject to any psychological tricks that the adult might wish to use.

Personally I think it's a bit out of order - I just prefer to play good moves (I think Fischer said similar sentiments, but didn't necessarily practice what he preached!)
John Foley wrote:I have personally experienced very aggressive moves being played against me. To make matters worse, sometimes opponents slam down the attacking piece with a firm thud. Often this aggression has been relentless throughout the game. To make matters worse, some opponents hardly spend any time on the clock - I suspect these attacks had been premeditated. I admit I become stressed and irrational - I panic and finally submit to their devious ways. This bullying must stop.
You probably shouldn't give away your weaknesses to a forum that 2000 people/day read!

Although it's clear John's comment was in jest, it raises an interesting question as to what behaviour is acceptable and what constitutes bullying or distracting your opponent against the rules. I guess your opinion on this might well depend on how thick-skinned you are!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Your Honour, the case for the defence - summed-up in one of the scariest chess photographs (apart from Lee Bullock in determined mood!) I've ever seen! Talk about being stared down - I still have nightmares!
https://picasaweb.google.com/1050596421 ... 6199146034

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:59 am

Nasty. A juvenile version of the Sweeney.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 am

David has uncovered another variety, juniors crowding round the board distracting the opponent (whether or not deliberately).

As an arbiter I have had to tell parents of juniors not to distract the child's opponent, e.g by looming over the board, or sitting behind their child, blocking the aisle!

And you get players cheating and then being very aggressive when they're told not to.

I heard of one case some years ago where a player adjourned a game and was informed by the opponent + friend, "you're going to lose that game." The player thought that unlikely, and was told he would lose if he knew what was good for him.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Does the thread title include the compulsory membership scheme?
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:42 pm

John Foley jests, but people *have* actually complained in the past that their opponent "moved too quickly" and that this was somehow "disrespectful". I distinctly recall such comments being made about the youthful Anand, for instance :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:John Foley jests, but people *have* actually complained in the past that their opponent "moved too quickly" and that this was somehow "disrespectful". I distinctly recall such comments being made about the youthful Anand, for instance :D
Who are these people? I feel the need to play them. :twisted:

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Jack,

I can assure you that you have already played at least one of them!

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:John Foley jests, but people *have* actually complained in the past that their opponent "moved too quickly" and that this was somehow "disrespectful". :D
I have no problem with people moving quickly but I do hate it when they repeatedly slam down their pieces or bang the clock very hard.

It is completely unnecessary as it saves them no time at all; it is simply calculated to rattle the opponent.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Have had someone sit opposite me with their flies undone. Does that count?
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Patrick McGovern wrote:I did not think it possible in the genteel game of chess but I have witnessed games where an adult has tried to intimidate their junior opponent; one by repeatedly offering a draw in an aggressive manner (when the adult was clearly lost). The other example was the adult staring non stop at their opponent in order to put them off.
I've come across this before, but it was the juniors and not the adults using these distracting tactics. I've also had a Junior in forced mate - and rather than make his one remaining move or resign, he simply allowed all his time to run out (about 30 minutes :roll:) He then stood up and left the board without the offer of a hand shake or any type of acknowledgment.

It’s my experience that if I'm drawn against a Junior in a tournament, I am defiantly going to be on the receiving end of some type of gamesmanship. Luckily I’ve got quite good at ignoring the little buggers :evil:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker