First thread on LCC 2012 ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
benedgell

Re: First thread on LCC 2012 ?

Post by benedgell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Adams- Kramnik was a bit anti-climactic. You'd have to say given Kramnik's opening choice that he wasn't really that fussed about winning the game and had mentally settled for 2nd. Certainly he knows sharper lines well enough that he could have used one if he wished.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Some nice pictures here of the prize-giving dinner:

http://t.co/RvJJNtii

That's Ray Morris-Hill's smugmug photostream of his London Chess Classic photos.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:18 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:The game Kramnik-McShane is an excellent one, well worth playing through, though I must confess I didn't understand much of what was going on, or what would have happened if other moves had been played after some of the sacrifices.
Returning briefly to this, I was reminded of this game when recently reading Leonard Barden's excellent column here from 14 December:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/de ... ssic-title

That covers both how Nakamura should have won his Queen versus rook endgame against Anand (I wonder how much time Nakamura had for that move) and says something about the Kramnik-McShane game, though I do still hope someone publishes a full analysis of that latter game somewhere (still mind-boggling to play through). It is reassuring, though (referring to Nakamura's missed chance), to know that even super-GMs miss 'obvious' moves. :D

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:18 pm

My recollection was that Nakamura was pretty much down to the incremennt by then - I was pleased that both players came to the commentary after such a long and fluctuating game. Nakamura commented that he had looked at some at some other Q-moves (Qc4 I think was specifically mentioned) and that he realised after that Qc6 was winning.

Paul