The bragging thread

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mats Winther

The bragging thread

Post by Mats Winther » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:15 pm

This is a thread for posting your own little creations. I played this rapid game five minutes ago on FICS.
/Mats

Last edited by Mats Winther on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mats Winther

Re: The bragging thread

Post by Mats Winther » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm

How about this idea? Usually, a lot of chess creativity is never acknowledged. Today, when it's so simple to copy and paste PGN, why not take this opportunity to show our own games? Also amateur games can be creative and instructive. This rapid game, which I played today, features Bh5!? in the Spanish exchange variation. /Mats

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Black has a very easy game - perhaps a small advantage - once White turned the pawn grab down. And 7g4 is supposed to be theoretically good for him, FWIW.

(edit - for White, I mean :wink: )
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't think it's good for white. Look at this game with GM Hector as black:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1572115
/Mats

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Going through my game from last night, I noticed that in the final position, the majority of my pieces (7 of them) fall along the a1-h8 diagonal, which was quite picturesque!

Here's the full game, which is a fairly classic 'good knight vs bad bishop' situation:

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Mats Winther wrote:I don't think it's good for white. Look at this game with GM Hector as black:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1572115
/Mats
Hector is, as you know, a brilliant attacking player. Theory seems to believe the "gambit" is dubious if White handles it correctly, however........

Which doesn't mean it can't score well in practice, of course :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am

There is a chess database for sharing games on:
http://chessmicrobase.com/
This may be more appropriate than using the Forum which could quite easily become cluttered with brilliancies.

Giulio Simeone

Post by Giulio Simeone » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am

Mats Winther, your first game is indeed nice, you exploited the very bad position of his bishop and knight with a nice combination!! I also play often on FICS, probably sometimes we happened to play against each other, what is your nickname? For sure some time ago I have played (and lost) a couple of games with Matt Fletcher, he recognized me and told me his real name. I also have played lots of creative games on FICS, but I will post a game that I have played three weeks ago on a slow tournament, I'm proud of it because I gradually squeezed my opponent in the corner and eventually demolished him with a very nice combination.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Chessmicrobase only serves the purposes of hiding away your games where nobody will ever look at them. What's worse, they don't even know that a chessboard is checkered. From an amateur perspective, it is probably more valuable to look at amateur games, because it teaches you how to handle these positions at amateur level. Such ideas, as in Simeone's game, we seldom see in modern GM practice, because the opponent seldom allows it. We'll have to go back to Morphy's days to see such refutations of a player's plan. In my second game above I demonstrate that it is sometimes possible to play f5 even if it results in a pawn fork. To a title player this is trivial, but not for the average amateur. The above games are both instructive and entertaining. I think it's quite natural to post games to a thread in a chess discussion group. Supposedly, most chessplayers enjoy watching interesting games, even if they aren't GM games.
/Mats

Giulio Simeone

Post by Giulio Simeone » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Mats Winther wrote: I think it's quite natural to post games to a thread in a chess discussion group. Supposedly, most chessplayers enjoy watching interesting games, even if they aren't GM games.
I agree, if in a chess discussion group users can't post chess games, what else can they post? :-) I think that a game, even if played by amateurs, is much more interesting that disputes between organizations and similar stuff.

Patrick McGovern

Post by Patrick McGovern » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 pm

i drew with a GM in a simul, is this bragging? and do i get a norm for this? :lol:
A rook on the second is like a bone in the throat - Fischer

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 am

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Am I the only genius in this forum?
/Mats

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Mats Winther wrote:Am I the only genius in this forum?
/Mats
Mats, this is England where genius has been replaced by false modesty.
You need to post a game you won brilliantly in which you conclude: "I didn't have a clue what was happening."

Also, rename the thread from "Bragging" to "My shameful attempts at rehabilitation of my defective intellect."
Then I guarantee that you will find many contributors.