Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Clarke

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by John Clarke » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 am

A curious and hitherto-unknown form of our favourite game is mentioned here. Edit-chess?? Would only work with black-and-white movies, surely? :mrgreen:
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 am

in the 80s Nobel prize winner Richard Feynman described the universe using chess terms such as castling, and white square complexes. enjoy ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1dgrvlWML4

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I just noticed and bought
THE CHESS MEN by Pter May. I suspect though the only chess connection is the Omat Khayyam quote.

Does somebody know why the Stephanie Meyer book had a Staunton piece queen on the cover?

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:55 pm

A sports columnist shows sound appreciation of chess strategy here. It's a longish piece of little interest otherwise outside the Shaky Isles, so here's the relevant extract:

At the time I argued that Ma'a Nonu had to play. His experience, his combination with Conrad Smith and his explosive reliability on the gain line in defence and attack meant that New Zealand could control the middle of the pitch, as important as the four centre squares in a game of chess.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Chess finds its way into 'Dumb Britain' in this week's Private Eye:

Presenter: How many squares are there on a chessboard?
Caller: Er...37?

Somewhat unfairly, I feel, given that there are indeed 37 squares on a chessboard. Given the clumsy wording of the question, 64 (presumably the answer they were looking for) is only one of the many possible correct answers.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Tristan Clayton wrote:Chess finds its way into 'Dumb Britain' in this week's Private Eye:

Presenter: How many squares are there on a chessboard?
Caller: Er...37?

Somewhat unfairly, I feel, given that there are indeed 37 squares on a chessboard. Given the clumsy wording of the question, 64 (presumably the answer they were looking for) is only one of the many possible correct answers.
Isn't the correct answer actually 204?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 am

37 is an interesting answer as it's prime, so one wonders what shape he thought the board was. I agree with Tristan over the wording of the question.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:22 pm

On Radio 3 this morning, they celebrated Philidor's birthday by playing a piece by him. It's on "Breakfast" beginning about 44 mins into the show.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:37 is an interesting answer as it's prime, so one wonders what shape he thought the board was. I agree with Tristan over the wording of the question.
One possible answer is that they thought it was a 6 x 6 board but then, suspecting a trick question, they added on one for the perimeter :-)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:03 pm

I have never read 'Dumb Britain', but surely the answer 37 was selected because it is one that is MOST UNLIKELY to be correct.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 pm

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Now this is really sad
http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2013 ... et-street/
Yeah .... they could have done most of us a far better service by instead closing down that useless money-sink the America's Cup (becoming known in this house, because of the relentless barrage of media coverage, as the Shutduffa Cup).

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:14 pm

The Guardian's cartoon Friday 20th September (re: Syria)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... p/20/syria

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:14 am

My man In San Francisco sent me this.

Chess Banned from the Streets of San Franciso.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/E ... 823376.php

It reads. (with a couple of pictures.)

Street chess, that institution of young, old, rich and poor mentally duking it out over a checkered board
in the open air, thrives downtown in nearly every big city of America - except, now, San Francisco.

For more than 30 years, chess games have been a staple near Fifth and Market streets, but earlier this month, the San Francisco Police Department confiscated the playing equipment, chairs and tables from where dozens of people, mostly homeless, would gather every day to play.

Police said that regular chess players weren't the problem but that the area had become a hotbed for illegal gambling and drug use.

"It's turned into a big public nuisance," said Capt. Michael Redmond, contending that complaints from nearby businesses and arrests for sale and possession of narcotics have increased over the past six months. "I think maybe it's a disguise for some other things that are going on."

On Tuesday afternoon, the only sign of street chess was at the feet of Marvin Boykins, 57. Across from his latex chessboard, a friend moved chess pieces at the command of a smartphone computer game set at the grandmaster level, which Boykins refused to listen to after it warned him that he'd made a bad move.

"I've been playing since I was 7 or 8 years old," said Boykins, who has been playing at the spot for decades. "Chess is a true San Francisco tradition."

His friend, Hector Torres Jr., said chess saved him from a gambling addiction when he moved to San Francisco from Las Vegas more than 20 years ago. He said the chess games are a discrimination-free zone that has welcomed everyone including San Francisco Giants players, millionaires and people who have been in prison for decades.

"They're being mean for no reason," Torres Jr., 42, said about the police. "To me, it's a scapegoat."

Decades of history
Pinpointing exactly how the games began on Mid-Market is difficult, but what is clear is that they have been a fixture since at least the early 1980s.

The people supplying the tables, and the rules for play, changed periodically, but the basic premise was always the same: A steady core of chess devotees, many of them homeless, sat at the tables all day, and pretty much anyone who wanted to play could take a seat.

Sometimes the winner won $1, other times it was just a straight fee to play. At one time in the early 2000s the players who ran the tables charged 50 cents for three games. Boykins charges $2 for people to rent one of his boards.

The tables were sometimes supplied by avid players with homes and sometimes by homeless people - one penniless man in the mid-2000s dragged them there every morning from his storage place south of Market Street.

San Francisco resident Vivian Imperiale, walking down Market Street on Tuesday, said she saw police officers telling chess players a few weeks ago to get rid of their equipment.

Businesses relieved
"I was walking out here and I was thinking 'how charming,' although I think there's money involved - it's probably not all squeaky clean," she said. "It seemed innocent."

But employees at several nearby businesses said they were relieved the tables are gone.

"It's an excuse for illegal activity - period," said Dimitri Madrid, manager at Beauty Supply and Hair Salon, which has sent four letters to Mayor Ed Lee complaining about drug and alcohol use, violence and barbecuing that has taken place by the tables.

Now that the tables and crowds are gone, Madrid says he no longer sees people walking by with their purses clutched tightly in their arms, or just crossing to the other side of the street.

"It's like night and day," he said. "Sales have been up."

At CeX, an electronic entertainment exchange, people have come in and asked where the chess went, said Ryan K., a store manager who didn't want to give his last name.

"Since it's been gone, it's been a lot quieter," he said, adding that he thought that was an improvement.

Not the last move
Ryan said police had reached out to businesses, asking if the chess tables were creating problems. He said drug use was commonplace and customers were calling to say they weren't coming back to the store.

"They said, 'We didn't want to come here because it's too dangerous,' " Ryan said.

Jennifer Friedenbach, executive director of the Coalition on Homelessness, said the police were wrong to take chess away.

"Having activities for folks to do is a positive thing," she said. "We have elderly people who are very isolated, and this is a great way for them to be out in the community."

Redmond said the players' property will eventually be released back to them and he hopes to work out a plan for chess in the future - but that may involve persuading a business to pay for a permit so games can be played on the sidewalk.

"I'm optimistic that something is going to work out," Boykins said.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:03 am

Further to Geoff's post: The Chess Mind.