Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Lewis Martin

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Lewis Martin wrote:
Agreed on reporting quality, though later mentioning that Ashley was the first one (true) he is not the only one. The journalist must not have heard about Pontus Carlsson.
or Amon Simutowe of Zambia. He will be known to British players from playing (as an IM) in the 2000 British and also at Hastings. Later he went to study in the USA and completed his GM title. I didn't notice him as playing in the Olympiad, so he may have retired from active play.
Had a nagging feeling that I may have forgotten someone else! As for GM's in Varsity matches, there can't have been many surely?

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 am

Brit expatriate Mark Reason has some comments here on recent changes to rugby laws.

On the recent Springboks-Pumas match he remarks:

"But still the Pumas came on, assisted by South Africa's appalling kicking game. Enough already, said Meyer ('Boks coach).

On came Morne Steyn for Handre Pollard and Francois Hougaard for Ruan Pienaar. Meyer was losing the game of chess. So he gave the board a good nudge and changed the pieces.
"
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: As for GM's in Varsity matches, there can't have been many surely?
Luke McShane was a GM while playing in the Varsity matches. Can't remember whether Rowson was or not. OK, he became a GM in 1999 and played in the 1999 Varsity match, but I don't think he was a GM at that point. So only McShane and Simutowe so far.

Ah, I see the answer is here (with thanks to David Sedgwick):

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 756#p50842

So the answer is: David Norwood, Dharshan Kumaran, Luke McShane, and Amon Simutowe.

Maybe someone could supply the years?

More on Simotowe:

http://www.gtc.ox.ac.uk/news-and-views/ ... match.html

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-gm-jou ... n-simutowe

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Talking of Rowson, letter from him in today's Evening Standard reiterating his support for Scottish independence and namechecking his GM status as well.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:47 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Here
Thanks, Justin. Probably worth quoting in full:

"As a chess grandmaster who has represented both Scotland and Britain, I feel truly sad about a prospective loss of kinship with fellow Brits. Like many Yes supporters, I am no nationalist — the question is whether an established country is ready for political independence, and the answer is Yes. We never looked back after devolution. Following the necessary adjustment after a Yes vote, we will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Jonathan Rowson"

Talking about necessary adjustment, I was reading about the issue of the succession of the states for the USSR when it broke up, and the moments when certain Soviet institutions ceased to exist. If Scotland votes Yes, the issues won't be quite the same, but it did get me wondering a bit more (Russia agreed to take on all the Soviet debt, for example). The closer parallel would more likely be the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia, that led to the formation of the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:41 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Here
I'm not sure of the relevance of his Grandmastery. He certainly has become very enthusiastic about the debate all of a sudden. Although the question quoted is not that which we will be asked.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:27 pm

When writing a public letter, it is quite normal to explain one's status.

Jonathan has not explained that, in chess, Scotland has always been separate from the rest of the UK. Indeed, it was formed in 1884 and decided not to join the British CF when that was formed in 1904. In due course they joined FIDE separately, although were not founder members, as have Wales, Guernsey and Jersey of course.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Lots of chess metaphors here (from December 2011):

http://behindthenytimes.blogspot.co.uk/ ... rovka.html

"In Russian the word for castling is rokirovka ; and what is going on in the streets of Moscow right now, with unusual demonstrators protesting the political rokirovka in which President Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin are changing places..."

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:32 pm

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:07 am

Chess pieces on the cover of this week's 'Economist'
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... eel-itself

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:28 am

Ever thought of getting a tattoo with a chess motif?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/meet-chess-man ... rs-1464411

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 pm

About the new Fischer film
http://chessnewsagency.com/#/tobey-magu ... -in-sochi/

This chessnewsagency has a huge number of photos. Even John Upham should be impressed.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:59 am

There was a short documentary on Radio 4 today about the chess players of Washington Square, New York. It was called "Wood Pushers".

Craig Pritchett

Post by Craig Pritchett » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:26 am

To balance matters, given one Anglo-Scot chess player's glowing take on the 'Yes' side in the forthcoming Scottish Independence referendum (quoted a few posts above), here's one from another lifelong chess playing Anglo-Scot, an old Glasgow school-mate and fellow Glasgow University graduate.

From today's "Scotsman", which has just come out for the 'No' side and quotes as below in an article on a very current problem in its business pages:

'As Roy Batchelor, a professor at Cass Business School, pointed out, “Financial markets hate uncertainty, and this quickly gets translated into prices … the risks to the UK are trivial compared to those triggered in Scotland by the likely flight of capital and business talent if the Yes campaign wins.”'

Unlike those two London-based Anglo-Scots, this ex-London-based Anglo-Scot has a crucial vote ... Guess who's take I take?