Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Great stuff - the 1966 Hastings with Botwinnik et al was the first I attended.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Ad on TV. Skipton Building Society. An elderly man is playing chess.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 am

On the occasion of the late WH Audens birthday (21st) find the chess ref in his poem ..the night mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmciuKsBOi0
enjoy

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:46 am

Hi Stewart,

Not seen the ad. Is the Rook shaped like the Skipton Logo. They have used one on a Chess Set in the past

Robert Page

Post by Robert Page » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:39 pm

I think you’ll find the apparent rook reference in the Skipton Building Society logo is meant to be Skipton Castle.

On a separate note, a recent episode of Pointess featured a set of pictures of board games. If you don’t know the format - although I suspect many chess players watch the programme - ‘100 people are given 100 seconds to name or identify.....’ and in this case all 100 recognized a chess set. Not surprising, you might think but 100 is rare and you’d be amazed at some the things people appear not to know. For once, the chess board was the right way round but - yes, you guessed it - both queens were on the wrong colour.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Well I suppose it would have been an even bigger blunder if only one queen had been on the wrong colour.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am

"On a separate note, a recent episode of Pointess featured a set of pictures of board games. If you don’t know the format - although I suspect many chess players watch the programme - ‘100 people are given 100 seconds to name or identify.....’ and in this case all 100 recognized a chess set. Not surprising, you might think but 100 is rare and you’d be amazed at some the things people appear not to know."

They also say that the 100 people don't know they are doing it for "Pointless"!

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:41 am

Times crossword Sat.23rd Feb.: Clue for BUSKER is 'Book addict hugs King's Head player in street'. For those unfamiliar with cryptic clues, the definition is 'player in street' and the indicators are B for book, USER for addict, with K for King's Head inserted. However, since clues are supposed to 'make sense' I wonder if the compiler had chess in mind when referring to a King's Head player. But then they probably have a team for darts, dominoes, 5-a-side football etc....

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:43 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ion-widget

Just another story about a board the wrong way round. It makes Branson look like a twerp, and we don't mind that, but otherwise I've never really understood what the fuss is about. Ditto kings and queens reversed ( provided they both are ) - it doesn't actually change the game at all.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:06 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:43 pm
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ion-widget

Just another story about a board the wrong way round. It makes Branson look like a twerp, and we don't mind that, but otherwise I've never really understood what the fuss is about. Ditto kings and queens reversed ( provided they both are ) - it doesn't actually change the game at all.
Well actually it changes the game significantly, in a way that just having the "wrong" colour squares does not.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Quite often the picture editor will mirror the image about the y axis for aesthetic reasons not realising the implications for the content of the image.

It may be therefore that the board orientation was correct.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:06 pm
Well actually it changes the game significantly, in a way that just having the "wrong" colour squares does not.
How?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:10 pm

John Upham wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm
That's an interesting point. I wonder how many people have been maligned in this way.

Having said that, the position in the picture is not suggestive of great sophistication.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Nick F>That's an interesting point. I wonder how many people have been maligned in this way.

It is quite common. The cover of Chess Magazine once had the board round the wrong way for tht reason.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:23 am

John Upham wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 pm
Quite often the picture editor will mirror the image about the y axis for aesthetic reasons not realising the implications for the content of the image.

Isn't the point here that it was posted by Mr Branson, so there was no "picture editor" involved?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com