Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by JustinHorton » Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:59 pm
I don't think I had ever seen this before: the video for Why Can't We Be Friends, by the funk band War.
I'd not seen this, either: The Monkey's Paw also begins with a chess game.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gordon Morse

Post by Gordon Morse » Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Quote from the BBC Sport website, 25 minutes into the Aston Villa v Derby County play-off final:

"It's been quite open and interesting though, certainly not a chess match"
I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 pm

I was watching Sariñena v Lorca on Aragón TV on Sunday and the commentator saw fit to describe the game as "una partida de ajedrez".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 am

Coral (the gambling site) ad, A Russian woman GM is playing. The game i brought to a close in an unorthodox manner!

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Tue May 28, 2019 3:00 am

Apparently the BBC has a untelevised Dr Who episode featuring
Capablanca play Alekhine at chess in 1927 [in Buenos Aires]

according to BBC
archives

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 am

Mostly about sports training in general, in particular the 10,000 hour claim.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... stein-book

but it makes this comment
Yet with a few exceptions such as gymnastics, where skill acquisition needs to be developed before maturity, and chess, where developing early pattern recognition is vital, the science does not back that up.

Dave Riley

Post by Dave Riley » Tue May 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Bob Kane wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:00 am
Apparently the BBC has a untelevised Dr Who episode featuring
Capablanca play Alekhine at chess in 1927 [in Buenos Aires]

according to BBC
archives
Is that possibly just a reference to the episode where he mentions having seen them play in 1927 rather than to a previously unknown episode?

That reference is in The Androids of Tara where the Doctor is seen playing against K9 at the start of the first episode. There's a still from that episode on this page showing them with the board the wrong way round, although it was correct in the broadcast episode.

I don't think the video is on youtube, but it does have another one from the same era in which this blog shows them to be making nonsense moves.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 29, 2019 12:48 am

"Is that possibly just a reference to the episode where he mentions having seen them play in 1927 rather than to a previously unknown episode?"

That seems plausible. Is that the one where he gets cross when K9 beats him? I think the only unseen story was "Shada"(?) which was made during a technicians' strike and then never broadcast as the unions objected.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 am

Kevin >That seems plausible. Is that the one where he gets cross when K9 beats him? I think the only unseen story was "Shada"(?) which was made during a technicians' strike and then never broadcast as the unions objected.<

Is that the same strike that stopped the 1983 Master Game Series ever being shown? The only episode available is the final between Miles and Karpov. That was rescued by Ray Keene and is available from Impala.
it may be that is why 1983 was the end of the series.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 29, 2019 10:04 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 am
Is that the same strike that stopped the 1983 Master Game Series ever being shown?
Shada was 1979, so a different strike.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 am

HELP REQUESTED
This came to me from Martin Fitzpatrick, 164 Cavendish Street, Belfast 12 7AX, N Ireland.
Has anyone seen the ATV programme that was called 'CHECKMATE - David Nixon teaches chess. It was shown around April 1975. It was written by Bob Wade and there were 13 programmes. Some detail are available in BCM No. 4 Volume 95 from that year.
It included footage of the Fischer-Spassky; Tal-Botvinnik; Botvinnik Bronstein matches.
Martin would dearly love to see it again.
If you have ny memories, or knows anybody who may have footage, Martin would love to hear from you. You can communicate with him direct, or post here and I will forward any message.
Clearly email and computers are mysteries to him.

i never saw the series for some reason or another. But I did meet the famous magician as he presented the prizes at an Evening Standard London Chess Championships.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu May 30, 2019 6:03 pm

There was definitely a 1970s ITV chess programme featuring Harry Golombek (I remember watching it as a kid)

Was it the same one?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu May 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 am
HELP REQUESTED
This came to me from Martin Fitzpatrick, 164 Cavendish Street, Belfast 12 7AX, N Ireland.
Has anyone seen the ATV programme that was called 'CHECKMATE - David Nixon teaches chess. It was shown around April 1975. It was written by Bob Wade and there were 13 programmes. Some detail are available in BCM No. 4 Volume 95 from that year.
It included footage of the Fischer-Spassky; Tal-Botvinnik; Botvinnik Bronstein matches.
Martin would dearly love to see it again.
If you have ny memories, or knows anybody who may have footage, Martin would love to hear from you. You can communicate with him direct, or post here and I will forward any message.
Clearly email and computers are mysteries to him.

i never saw the series for some reason or another. But I did meet the famous magician as he presented the prizes at an Evening Standard London Chess Championships.
There was a brief discussion of these programmes at viewtopic.php?t=7443

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu May 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:48 am
"Is that possibly just a reference to the episode where he mentions having seen them play in 1927 rather than to a previously unknown episode?"

That seems plausible. Is that the one where he gets cross when K9 beats him? I think the only unseen story was "Shada"(?) which was made during a technicians' strike and then never broadcast as the unions objected.
K9 advises the Doctor against a move and the Doctor insists that he saw Capablanca play it against Alekhine, and win.

K9: Correction Master: he lost

Doctor: I must have missed the end of the game

He then went fishing. (This last detail I remember seeing recorded in Fox & James TCCA)