Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 am
Although of course there was BBC coverage of Kasparov v Anand
I think that (in 1995) was the last significant chess programming on mainstream UK telly.

Significant there was no TV coverage of Kasparov v Kramnik in 2000 despite it being held in London.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm
Significant there was no TV coverage of Kasparov v Kramnik in 2000 despite it being held in London.
Curiously there seems to have been some kind of transmission (check out the Penguin in a brown suit) on French TV athough via which station, I could not tell you.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:27 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 am
Curiously there seems to have been some kind of transmission (check out the Penguin in a brown suit) on French TV athough via which station, I could not tell you.
It was a French streaming site, Canalplus I think, although whether broadcast to air, I wouldn't be sure.

Braingames were going to make millions from the Internet coverage of that and future events. That's what they told the investors anyway.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ugust-2006

£50 will buy you a print of a group of Hungarian seniors playing in an outside pool.

"Guardian photographer David Levene … captured the players’ concentration, their leathered, sun-baked skin, and the palatial surroundings."

Occasionally see these photos, sometimes on floating boards, sometimes in Scandinavian hot spring pools.

Probably they don't use weighted pieces.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:02 pm

I have seen these type of images before. The Hungarian ones always have the board around the right way.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:11 pm

I just saw a very funny stand up comedy act at the Edinburgh fringe. Nick Doody :I will milk you. several chess references including a joke about Kramnik and Shirov ! I also had a chat with GM Jonathan Tisdall who was in the audience and it transpires is a friend of Nick .

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:57 pm

I hadn't previously come across this life-as-a-game-of-chess reference in Larkin:
Continuing to live — that is, repeat
A habit formed to get necessaries —
Is nearly always losing, or going without.
It varies.

This loss of interest, hair, and enterprise —
Ah, if the game were poker, yes,
You might discard them, draw a full house!
But it's chess.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Carey WIlman, the Scottish International player is currently on the 'The Chase'. Challenge T.V.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:26 pm
Carey WIlman, the Scottish International player is currently on the 'The Chase'. Challenge T.V.
Known as WFM Carey A Groves by many.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Carey has married! Congratulations, I never knew, have not seen Carey for quite a white.
(actually when I think about I'm sure someone told me....it may have been Carey herself! never mind.)

They still have Carey WIlman here. https://www.365chess.com/players/Carey_Wilman
I wonder if there are a few 'doublers' out there when players get married, there could be 'triplers' when they get divorced or re-marry.

This I'll change my name to 'D.E.Fault.' that way when people beat me they won't get rating points!

Played 3 times. Carey won two, I won one.

League match board 2, I'm Black. I have a perpetual with Nxd3 but made the
mistake of looking left and right at boards 1 and 3. Both appeared to be losing. Need to win this.

26...Rd7? (idiot) 27.Qe8+ and Qe5+ (1-0 Qxc5 )

Boards 1 and 3 won!

Do not know how Carey got on in ''The Chase.' adverts came on, switched over then switched off. (daytime T.V. is awful...)

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 pm

''The Government have placed the Queen on the Chessboard, but it doesn't mean they will win the game''. Sky News, moments ago.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:32 pm

I found myself watching Sky News at three o'clock yesterday morning due to humidity-related insomnia, and practically every report was like a Damien Day hommage.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Don't drop the donkey just yet, Justin.

It may never happen because anything could happen - Boris' strategy is based on deep learnings that maximise all the possible possibilities (plus a few impossible ones, too).

Just pray -

https://www.hawaiicatholicherald.com/20 ... ay-scenes/

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:56 pm

Wednesday Daily Telegraph. Referring to the fact that Iran has convicted another British-Iranian on espionage charges. Anoush Ashouri has been sentenced for 12 years. for allegedly passing information to Israel's Mossad.
His daughter, an actress living in London, said. 'We don't know why this announcement has been made. It is a chess game and they decided to move the piece.'

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 am

BBC News Latest Updates website said at 08:08:
What is the business reaction to the prime minister asking the Queen to suspend parliament?

The head of the British Chambers of Commerce says with only 63 days to go before Brexit, businesses feel like Westminster is playing an endless game of political chess.

"And of course there are real world consequences to all of this uncertainty," Adam Marshall told BBC R4 Today.

"There are businesses telling us they have walked away from contracts... We’ve had so many firms saying to us 'I’ve had to change the way I do business, put off key investment decisions, until we get past this'. There is a business community in limbo, in stasis, 'til we get past this.

So would it be better to sweep the pieces off the board altogether with a no-deal Brexit? No, he says, that would create even more uncertainty.
There is an accompanying chess themed photo.