Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Spanton

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:30 pm

"It's a chess game, isn't it?" St Louis Cardinals broadcaster Jim Hayes on roster moves

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:19 am

Today's Google Doodle features a chess piece
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:37 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:19 am
Today's Google Doodle features a chess piece
If you scroll the doodles, it takes you through the story of the Count of Monte Cristo, and shows a slide with a King in an empty chest.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:16 am

Ah yes, I noticed, this is what I was drawing to people's attention
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:19 am

Another chess tv series on Netflix is due to start in October.

The trailer for The Queen's Gambit looks very interesting but it does kind of reinforce the media stereotype that to play chess you have to have a lot of issues. In this one eight year-old orphan Beth Harmon is quiet, sullen, and by all appearances unremarkable. That is, until she plays her first game of chess. Her senses grow sharper, her thinking clearer, and for the first time in her life she feels herself fully in control. By the age of sixteen, she's competing for the US Open championship. But as Beth hones her skills on the professional circuit, the stakes get higher, her isolation grows more frightening, and the thought of escape becomes all the more tempting. Based on the book by Walter Tevis.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:33 pm

I hope they keep in the film the bit: "....she purposely avoids the endgame as she doesn’t like it,"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3259&p=153969&hilit ... is#p153969

Have to take enforced redundancy so with all this spare time think I'll write my chess novel.
You lot will be in it and I'll be bumping you off one by one using openings as chess clues for the detective (me) to follow.

One will be trampled by a Hippopotamus, another shot with a Kalashnikov, another burn't to death by a Dragon,
pecked to death by a Vulture, murdered with rat poison etc...and you will never guess what I have planned for the Fried Liver.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Don't forget the Sicilian.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:33 pm
I hope they keep in the film the bit: "....she purposely avoids the endgame as she doesn’t like it,"

Have to take enforced redundancy so with all this spare time think I'll write my chess novel.
You lot will be in it and I'll be bumping you off one by one using openings as chess clues for the detective (me) to follow.

One will be trampled by a Hippopotamus, another shot with a Kalashnikov, another burn't to death by a Dragon,
pecked to death by a Vulture, murdered with rat poison etc...and you will never guess what I have planned for the Fried Liver.
I like Hippos Geoff :wink:

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, hope you are ok
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:26 pm

"Have to take enforced redundancy so with all this spare time think I'll write my chess novel."

Commiserations on the redundancy and good luck with the book. I was alsopondering a chess-related murder mystery, but I doubt I'll ever do it.

I was recalling that old (1970s/80s?) murder mystery film based on Shakespeare plays, but can't remember the title. (edit yes I can - Theatre of Blood.) I think there's a market for such a book/film with a chess theme.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:26 pm
I was recalling that old (1970s/80s?) murder mystery film based on Shakespeare plays, but can't remember the title. (edit yes I can - Theatre of Blood.)
Early seventies wasn't it? Vincent Price, Ian Hendry, Diana Rigg etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_Blood

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:34 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your redundancy.
Good luck with your novel.
Make sure you autograph my copy.
All the best
Simon.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Hi Lads,

Happy taking it, I'm 69 only worked a few nights because of the banter and keeping my one brain cell active.
Now I've stopped (end of next month) I can fill out all the OAP forms and get all the rebates etc...

Because my eyes have gone a bit bad they (the work) got me large screen, wonder if I can take it with me. (I will).

Often hear the European OAP's are better off but if you claim your full quota for everything you are OK
and I think better off and of course being ex army I get all kinds of other things from my old mob.
free holidays homes for a week or the weekend, christmas hamper...etc...they even sent me a free face mask with my regiment badge on it!

Not the exact same one, but it gives you an idea of what they look like.
I'll wear it with my five medals and Wife's Iron Cross ( :) ) on Remembrance Sunday

Have decided I'll be be called Johnny Sheffield 'the detective with the steel sharp mind'.
I thought about being Johnny Oxford after what I think is the best Hancock episode 'The Missing Page'.
It's up there with 'Blood Donor' and 'Radio Ham' (there is Chess in that! 'King's Pawn to Queen's Bishop Three. Check!)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Chris Rice >I hope they do NOT keep in the error fairly near the end of the book Queen's Gambit. But I am relying on my memory from 35 years ago. Also it was difficult as moves, when described, were in Descriptive and not in notation.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 pm

I gave up The Queen's Gambit on reading the book. Look forward to 23/10 on Netflix. NO covid masks. Descriptive takes me back.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:47 am

I've not seen Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and only just become aware that some chess pieces appear in the film - and then disappear.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com