Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:20 pm

well, surely the long article in the Guardian today on cheating in online chess, including the UKCC, should get a mention?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:20 pm
well, surely the long article in the Guardian today on cheating in online chess, including the UKCC, should get a mention?
It's in the ""cheating" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7324&start=1410#p254122

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Rausis in the odd one out round of Have I Got News For You this evening. People who have changed their names. Helen Lewis of the Guardian impressively well informed.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am

El Jueves do chess with a bunch of jokes you may not get. Don't worry about it, nor do I.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm

BBC2 Final Score.
Connie McLaughlin reported back to the studio on the Reading v Middlesbrough goalless draw.
"It was a game of football, then a game of Chess and at the end it was more like a game of draughts than chess."

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:23 pm

From Saturdays Times Review
A six part series starts on Netflix on Friday. It is adapted from Walter Trevis's 1983 novel The Queens Gambit
"About a female chess prodigy who takes on the might of the Soviet Union while struggling with her own mental health and alcohol addiction "

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 pm

"Rausis in the odd one out round of Have I Got News For You this evening. People who have changed their names. Helen Lewis of the Guardian impressively well informed."

She was - I actually quite liked the closing joke that when they kicked him out of the tournament, there was a tiled floor, so it took him 23 moves to leave. At least it wasn't the usual jokes...

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:33 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:23 pm
A six part series starts on Netflix on Friday. It is adapted from Walter Trevis's 1983 novel The Queens Gambit
"About a female chess prodigy who takes on the might of the Soviet Union while struggling with her own mental health and alcohol addiction "
Ben Graff and I will be previewing this on The Chess Circuit podcast tomorrow, and then reviewing the series once we've watched it over the weekend!

https://anchor.fm/thechesscircuit
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Not sure if this constitutes "media", but I got an advert for auctions and one had this as the advert for the auction.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 0282-image

Typical board depiction of course.

I only scrolled through the first few pages of the lots, but if you like toys, TV science fiction etc., you will find something of interest!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Oh, how interesting, not sure I've seen that one before
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:36 pm

I have that comic in the above link knocking about the house somewhere, sure I've used it in the past.
A friend of mine who runs DeadHead Comics. https://www.deadheadcomics.co.uk/
keeps a look out for chess themed covers for me.

I got this one from there.

and used it here.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... p-book.390 (along with a pop-up chess book!)

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:33 pm
John Sellen wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:23 pm
Ben Graff and I will be previewing this on The Chess Circuit podcast tomorrow, and then reviewing the series once we've watched it over the weekend!

https://anchor.fm/thechesscircuit
I am looking forward to these podcasts with Adam! Walter Tevis has considerable form when it comes to his novels being adapted for the screen. "The Hustler," "The Colour of Money" and "The Man Who Fell to Earth," were all big hits. Walter Tevis worked in a pool hall for a while and his journey as a writer started with a short story about pool for a creative writing class. I can see why the chess world captured his imagination. Bruce Pandolfini actually advised him on the novel, which is extremely accurate in some ways and less so in others. I'm really hoping that Netflix do a good job!
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:20 pm

ben.graff wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:55 pm
"The Hustler," "The Colour of Money" and "The Man Who Fell to Earth," were all big hits.
Wikipedia on The Man Who Fell To Earth:
The film obtained a small release in the United States through Cinema V in exchange for $850,000 and due to foreign sales the film's budget was just recouped.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Your point is fair Justin. "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money" were much bigger hits. Paul Newman was in both. Tom Cruise was in "The Color of Money," which was directed by Martin Scorsese and took $52.3 million at the box office. Certainly a much more profitable venture than "The Man Who Fell to Earth!"

I found a New York Times article about the Netflix series, which describes betting on chess to make good television as a "risky play." The New York Times highlight that Kasparov was a consultant on "The Queen's Gambit." According to the piece, Kasparov seems to be sceptical about the actual chess positions in the series, but more positive about the authenticity of the chess tournament atmosphere. We will see!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/arts ... tflix.html
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:41 pm

ben.graff wrote: ↑Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:55 pm
"The Hustler," "The Colour of Money" and "The Man Who Fell to Earth," were all big hits.

But no chess content to my recollection.