Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 am

The article begins:
One day a number of years ago, I was deep into a game of draughts on holiday with my daughter, then almost four, in the small library of a beachfront town. Her eye drifted to a nearby table, where a black-and-white board bristled with far more interesting figures (many a future chess master has been innocently drawn in by “horses” and “castles”).

“What’s that?” she asked. “Chess,” I replied. “Can we play?” she pleaded. I nodded absently.

There was just one problem: I didn’t know how. I dimly remembered having learned the basic moves as a kid, but chess had never stuck. This fact vaguely haunted me through my life. I would see an idle board in a hotel lobby or a puzzle in a weekend newspaper supplement, and feel a pang.

I had picked up a general awareness of chess. I knew the names Bobby Fischer and Garry Kasparov. I knew that the game had enchanted historical luminaries including Marcel Duchamp and Vladimir Nabokov. I knew the cliche about grandmasters being able to look a dozen moves ahead. I knew that chess, like classical music, was shorthand in movies for genius – often of the evil variety. But I knew chess the way I “knew” the Japanese language: what it looks like, what it sounds like, its Japaneseness, without actually comprehending it.

I decided to learn the game, if only to be able to teach my daughter.

It took a few hours, hunched over my smartphone at kids’ birthday parties or waiting in line at Trader Joe’s, to get a feel for the basic moves
This is very dfferent to the same writer's piece in Nautilus and The Week five years ago which began thus:
My 4-year-old daughter and I were deep in a game of checkers one day about three years ago when her eye drifted to a nearby table. There, a black-and-white board bristled with far more interesting figures, like horses and castles. "What's that?" she asked. "Chess," I replied. "Can we play?" she asked. I nodded absently.

There was just one problem: I didn't know how. I dimly remembered having learned the basic moves in elementary school, but it never stuck. This fact vaguely haunted me through my life; idle chessboards in hotel lobbies or puzzles in weekend newspaper supplements teased me like reproachful riddles.

And so I decided I would learn, if only so I could teach my daughter. The basic moves were easy enough to pick up — a few hours hunched over my smartphone at kids' birthday parties or waiting in line at the grocery store.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:19 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:19 pm
Roland Kensdale wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:08 pm
University Challenge Xmas 2020 series episode 4. No-one could identify the word in chess for the the same piece attacking 2 or more enemy pieces at once.
No Oxbridge representation I hope.
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qry7 ) Nottingham v Sheffield. Older alumni. I recognised Michael Deacon who writes entertainingly in the Telegraph and a news reader.

Some of them must have played a casual game but never interested enough to look at a chess book. Like 99.9% of people who have played I expect.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:19 pm
Older alumni.
Ah, celebs. You would hope that four undergrads chosen for their knowledge would do better.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:45 pm
Very nice clip from 1966, but who is Jonathan?
I'm informed that the little boy with the toffee apple who is playing Martin Bell is Jonathan Christopher Benjamin who passed away in 2000. If it is him, I remember him when I was just starting to play chess and there are games of his on the database. Here's one of him playing Glenn Lambert who was a bit of a legend in Hampshire chess when I was a kid but died in 2003.

Richard James alerted me to the BBC Archives clip (John Upham had spotted it - my thanks to John and Richard). I was only 3 at the time, so I don't remember it and had no knowledge of it until now, but although I could not believe it on first viewing, on subsequent viewings it is definitely my late brother Jon. My surviving brothers, cousins and Jon's widow are certain, too. I never saw him with a toffee apple that big, though!

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 pm

Marylebone Mercury - Friday 09 March 1979a.png
Marylebone Mercury - Friday 09 March 1979b.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:21 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:40 am

That is a wonderful find Gerrard.

Hi Justin,

At least your piece referred to chess actually appearing in a sci-fi film.

I once used:

adding there is a picture of Morphy in it:

It's not, I photo-shopped it. I recently confessed this in my 2010-2020 celebrations of 10 years of doing the Red Hot Pawn Bloggy thing.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... --2020.472

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Apparently, Anya Taylor-Joy is on the Graham Norton Show tonight. BBC1 @10.45 pm.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am

"From Russia with Love" on ITV 4 tonight.
11 Jan 2021 @ 9:00pm
Chess at the beginning
............real game in Leningrad 1960 between Spassky who plays a Kings Gambit against Bronstein in the USSR Championships.
The only difference is the removal of two pawns on c5 and d4.
Paul Robert Jackson

Sean Parker

Post by Sean Parker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Yes that's right.....no need for the Chess Police either the board is legal!
I believe the villain playing the combination was Kronstein or Kronsteen...

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 pm

Sean Parker wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm
Yes that's right.....no need for the Chess Police either the board is legal!
I believe the villain playing the combination was Kronstein or Kronsteen...
Here's the clip and notice how Kronsteen carefully takes a piece with a lighted cigarette in hand.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 pm

Changed hand for later move. Still best Chess in a Bond film and a repeat.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:01 am

From Edward Winter's site

Spassky is portrayed as Kronsteen, I thought at first it may too have been a photo-shop joke.
(One I wish I had thought of) but then I remembered how meticulous Mr Winter is. He would have checked.

The link the Winter page on chess stamps is: https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/stamps.html

I wonder if Beth Harman may one day appear on a stamp.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 am

Boris Spassky speculated to me, when we were in Gibraltar, about why they removed the two pawns from his game against David Bronstein. He thought it might have been because the film makers otherwise would have feared breach of copyright. Of course we know there is no copyright in chess games.