Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stephen Westmoreland

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:23 pm
Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:05 pm
That is what the article said 'Sunak will also earmark £500,000 ($640,000) of funding for the English Chess Federation, they said.
Is that per year or in total over a multi-year period? Either way it would free up a sizeable part of the ECFs annual expenditure financed by membership fees. Would the ECF reduce or abolish membership charges though? How much the ECF spends on international teams isn't always apparent as part of the cost is currently met by undisclosed sponsorship and patronage. Certainly they are reluctant to disclose the split in financing between open and women's teams.
It sounds like a one off grant but detail is not there as this is a pre-launch of something that might be said:
'Sunak will also earmark £500,000 ($640,000) of funding for the English Chess Federation, they said. The grant to help send teams to international tournaments would be the first time the UK government has financially backed its national squads. Sunak’s office declined to comment'.
HDCA President

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:05 pm

I'd love to believe it but time and time again Sunak has pledged finance and support for a whole range of issues (have to say ones that are a lot more important and desperate for money than chess) in the grubby pursuit of more votes for this incompetent government only to renege on them later.

Whereas Rachel Reeves has turned up for every Chess Fest run by Malcolm and always joins in and plays a few games. Its mainly in support of Dulwich Wood Primary that she went to as a child so if she says there is money coming for chess I would be inclined to believe it.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:11 pm

RR is not everyone's cup of tea I know (even with Labour voters) but yes chess might just do OK if she becomes Chancellor.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Gary Senior

Post by Gary Senior » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:10 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:05 pm
I'd love to believe it but time and time again Sunak has pledged finance and support for a whole range of issues (have to say ones that are a lot more important and desperate for money than chess) in the grubby pursuit of more votes for this incompetent government only to renege on them later.

Whereas Rachel Reeves has turned up for every Chess Fest run by Malcolm and always joins in and plays a few games. Its mainly in support of Dulwich Wood Primary that she went to as a child so if she says there is money coming for chess I would be inclined to believe it.
This is rather unfair. There really are few votes in funding chess. This is a tremendous opportunity for British chess and we should all be grateful to the Government.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:29 pm

Gary Senior wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:10 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:05 pm

This is rather unfair. There really are few votes in funding chess. This is a tremendous opportunity for British chess and we should all be grateful to the Government.
Priceless.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:32 am

Just finished listening to Sarah Lonson and Malcolm Pein on Ch4 Today. Good interview.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Spectator Podcast "Do chess players make better politicians?"
Nothing new on the Government plans, but mildly interesting chat with Jamie Njoku-Goodwin a SPAD who is about 1800 on chess.com.

Peter Hornsby

Post by Peter Hornsby » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:13 am

courier 1.jpg
courier 2.jpg
The World Chess League.Live is featured on the front page of last week's Courier & Telegraph in Scotland.

Two other British teams have qualified for the play-offs, Durham Alumni and Petts Wood & Orpington A, which takes place on the 19th August :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:39 am

A piece in the Guardian advocating backgammon instead of chess. It's also related to the ECF funding rumours.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... unak-games

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:25 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:39 am
A piece in the Guardian advocating backgammon instead of chess. It's also related to the ECF funding rumours.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... unak-games
I can't see the government advocating, or providing funding for, any games that involve gambling whatever merits they otherwise have.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:23 pm

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:42 pm

Apologies for lowering the tone.

The Unbelievable Truth, Radio 4 (some text details https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/the_unbe ... odes/29/6/ broadcast again in July this year), an episode from 2006. 'Playing Chess with the Pope' is a euphemism for having a bowel movement in Iceland. Relic from the days of anti-catholicism.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:19 am

In the second series of Slow horses,( spy drama apple tv) a chess game is played between a Russian agent and Mi5 operative, a discussion takes place about swapping information and that a rook is worth a knight and two pawns. When the Mi5 operative beats her opponent she refers to the immortal game naming the players .
The board and pieces are set up correctly for once, but i didn't recognize the position . The room where the game was played reminded me of the long extinct chess café at prompt corner Hampstead , where many real Russian agents did in fact play chess.
It would be interesting to know who the chess advisor for the series was ?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:16 pm

"'Playing Chess with the Pope' is a euphemism for having a bowel movement in Iceland."

I checked with an Icelandic chess player and he confirmed this and provided some of the history.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:22 pm