Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:07 pm
I guess this story should come with a Not Suitable For Work (or minors) warning. Interesting that this technique was used to beat a seriously strong player (Daniel Fernandez):
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aster.html
Have you ever read such a load of old rubbish?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:46 pm

The video is actually quite funny. I can't tell how much it is a complete spoof, and how much it might be real...

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:46 pm
The video is actually quite funny. I can't tell how much it is a complete spoof, and how much it might be real...
I think it's pretty well understood by now that most if not all "reality" TV is actually anything but.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:58 pm

John Clarke wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:46 pm
I think it's pretty well understood by now that most if not all "reality" TV is actually anything but.
The look on Daniel Fernandez's face at the 'reveal' moment was quite something. Sadly, the world is such that there is a chance it was all real. But the levels of illusion (one of those producing the video is, or claims to be, a professional magician/illusionist) appear to be multiple.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:05 am

Just as Daniel is thinking about giving up chess...

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:38 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:30 pm
Three pages devoted to Penguin self-glorification? I will give that a miss thanks :)
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm
Nowhere near as bad as some might imagine, quite good in fact. (RDK's favourite film is; 'Conan the Barbarian' Ray added the original version, not the remake.)
Now available on the ChessBase website.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:09 pm

Thanks Ian,

I see chessbase have given the magazine a plug at the bottom of the piece.

That is two good features that chessbase have been given permission to use. Another thirteen to go and eventually the full mag will up there.

Chess magazines have to be fairly creative these days to compete with the internet sites, their instant reports, live online games not to mention the thousands of DVD's, videos and blogs. Click on one and you have a rough idea of what your are going to get.

When a Chess magazine lands on your doormat you do not know what is coming. But you know it will be good, interesting and well worth the price of a pint.

I do not know about other people but mouse clicking through a game is never quite the same as playing it out over a board. There is something missing in spinning through an online game. Playing it out on a board from a printed page gives you that leather on willow sound.
That is why I sub up to CHESS. Over the month every article is read, every game played over, every puzzled tacked and every study solved (...er...well not always solved.) Support your favourite magazine, CHESS, the BCM or whatever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:35 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:38 am
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:30 pm
Three pages devoted to Penguin self-glorification? I will give that a miss thanks :)
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm
Nowhere near as bad as some might imagine, quite good in fact. (RDK's favourite film is; 'Conan the Barbarian' Ray added the original version, not the remake.)
Now available on the ChessBase website.
Just read it, tbf there were a few things there that I don't recall seeing previously.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:10 pm

I read it and quite interesting...

I've read a few Ray Keene books and they weren't that bad or good- I wouldn't read them now though...

I think what people should understand is that without people like Miles (who've I've been reading up lately, immense guy) and Keene English chess wouldn't be as strong as it is.

There's nothing wrong with making a bit of money from chess although I accept he's prob done a bit dishonestly sometimes...

Still when u think writing over 200 books... guys try writing one and selling it!

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:53 pm

Junior chess is booming in Staffordshire:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-67443179

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:03 am

Levy Rozman has just been on Radio 4's Saturday Live. He spoke occasionally throughout the programme, but his main piece was at the end, starting at about 50 minutes into the programme.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:53 pm

Animation with music of an interview with Danny King, mentioning the King's Gambit and then Fischer -Tal 1959. (Danny's previous standard video analysed this game, briefly mentioning some engine analysis).

https://youtu.be/Cj-WF0oYkNo?si=ENxqoxXeNB6xpF2T

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Dorothy Dunnett author of LYMOND SERIES of books.
Game of Kings; Queen's Play; Disorderly Knights; Pawns in Frankincense; Ringed Castle Checkmate.
There is one chess game in the last book.
I was told this by a fellow passengers on board the cruise ship which I am travelling on.
I have not had time to research the material online yet.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:07 pm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:36 pm

There's a bit in the media about Mo Salah playing every day
Any postings on here represent my personal views