Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Spanton

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Hmm - I just hope it's improving some of his in-game managerial moves. Keeping Greg Holland on the disabled list for as long as possible might be a start ...

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Ian Fleming and C.H.O'D. Alexander would have known each other.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5043&p=189520&hilit ... er#p189520

I'm wondering if this is another of Ian Fleming's 'in jokes' (from 'The Man WIth The Golden Gun.')

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:51 pm

A very successful under cover operation there, "Geoff".

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:33 pm

"Tennis is a game of chess played at ninety miles an hour, everyone trying to move their pieces all over the board" quoted by the ITV4 commentator just now.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:16 am

Ad seen on TV.
MyheritageDNA. It shows Dad playing chess.
You can buy the kit for £59. So the ad worked as I am drawing it to your attention.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm
I think Scheveningen and Groningen are both relatively easy, provided you remember that both ch and g are pronounced as a guttural, as in buch.

Garry Kasparov presented some problems. He made the conscious decision to become Garry rather than Harry. We just don't have a way of representing that sound in the 26 letters of the alphabet. Players often speaking of coming to Gastings.

My own Hebrew name has that problem. Solmen Ben Yitschok.
Not forgetting Harry Weinstein. Never had a problem with your name Stewart. Usually asked for a Reuben, at the sandwich shop in Baker Street.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Gordon >Usually asked for a Reuben, at the sandwich shop in Baker Street.<

A Reuben sandwich is, of course, Pastrami on Rye, presumably named after the New York Delicatessen, rather than me.
If you google Stewart Reuben, you may get a photo of a Reuben sandwich. That is because there is a famous cook called Mary Stewart. Thus Mary Stewart Reuben Sandwich Recipe.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 am

BBC2 last night had chess in Rachel Parris' humourous A Girl's Guide to TV iPlayer about 41:30 for a minute or so; warning, not suitable for children

Probably not the idea for those who think chess should be on TV :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am

Following the World Cup in Russia, FIFA will introduce a ranking system based on the Elo System. As today's Daily Telegraph says, that was originally developed for chess. The system used this year to decide the seedings for the World cup seems nonsensical.
I read recently that Elo is being used for Tennis. I don't know the details, e.g. how do they cope with different surfaces? Possibly as we do with three rating systems for standard, rapid and blitz.
I was hired by, I think, the Sunday Express to prepare an Elo rating system for snooker. It worked well enough with a k factor of 1, but wasn't taken up by the existing bodies. I used it subsequently to bet on the outcome of snooker matches, particularly frame scores. I could break even, but the betting tax of the time was prohibitive, so I gave it up. That was the year Steve Davis lost in the final to Dennis Taylor. Jon Ady did the computerisation and David Levy helped me with the binomial theorem working out the expected scores.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

There already is an Elo system that someone's created for international football, though it is completely unofficial.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 pm

For football that would work well for betting for one season. Once the players change, so will the rating.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Commentator on Spain v Portugal just invoked "los tableros del ajedrez" but I'm afraid I didn't catch the rest
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 pm

The usual error in setting up a chess board - and a less common one (look carefully). From an ad in NZ's Sunday Star-Times magazine.
Chess Set Ad (2).jpg
Chess Set Ad (2).jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:19 am

There was once an ad in The Times, 'Your best move is' by a firm of accountants (?). There was a standard chess board and set, with two white kings on the board.
I suggested to Ray Keene that he contact the company. 'Why bother?' 'Well, it can't do any harm.' The director said to Ray, 'Come and have lunch'. Music in Ray's ears of course.
It resulted in 3-4 GM tournaments, one of the matches in the Candidates and an international in New York.
Murray Chandler may be the best person to contact in NZ.