Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
PeterTurland

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by PeterTurland » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:http://www.chesscafe.com/video/video425.htm

Not to be missed if promoting the game
Great link Stewart, I first came across this girl nearly two years ago on Susan Polgar's site. http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2544 I'm buying the book and looking forward to the film and dreaming of a better world. Once women realize the power of chess, we might end up with a better world for all humanity, instead of one where around a fifth of our species have an insufficient diet and the rest of us waste a colossal amount of our earth's precious resources, on armaments.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Today's Daily Telegraph article by Sue Cameron page 23: title

Kings, queens and the political chess match.

The article has nothing to do with chess or, for that matter, matches.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Guardian piece on the neglect of Dads

"Feminism focuses on getting women out of the home. It therefore requires men to become more firmly ensconced in it, doing their domestic duty. However, if dads continue to earn substantially more than anyone else, that makes it very much harder if they choose to cut back on their hours to spend more time with their offspring. Yet that is exactly what poll after poll tells us that more and more men desire. Welcome to a checkmate on change".

A metaphor with potential. But would a stalemate on change work better?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:29 am

Over the past few years the term endgame has become very common in media coverage of conflicts.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Trailer for the film 'Bourne Legacy' 'It's like high octane chess'.

Of course we're off and running any time the Chancellor of the Exchequer is mentioned.
I have asked before about 'rank and file'. But we may have borrowed that from the military, not the other way round.

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:22 pm

In the New Scientist, 22nd/29th December 2012 issue, page 4, there is a black and white advert for its upcoming Thursday 3rd January 2013 edition which features chess pieces, each with a shadow of a different piece. Presumably, the image relates to the article on Quantum Shadows, 'forget particles and waves, something even stranger rules the quantum world'.

Hope everyone enjoyed a happy Christmas and is looking forward to a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 pm

One runs into chess in some strange places. I stumbled on this in The New Yorker yesterday: Utopian for Beginners. The article is about an artificial language called Ithkuil and its inventor, who at one point attends a conference in Elista. Naturally, Ilyumzhinov gets a mention, as does his 'abduction'.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 am

Google in Spain today. (160th anniversary of the birth of Torres y Quevedo.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Don't know if other people with Twitter accounts would like to join me in suggesting the BBC includes chess in its online sports coverage.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 pm

There's a Midsomer Murders' episode to be first aired on Wednesday 9th January 2013, called, 'The Sicilian Defence'. The synopsis of the plot asks whether a near fatal attack, which happened 12 months previously, could be linked to moves on a chess board.

There is also a chess reference near the beginning of Lee Child's first Jack Reacher book 'A Wanted Man'. Another forumite may give us the details...

Kevin Thurlow

Midsomer Murders

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 pm

According to Radio Times, next Wednesday at 8pm on ITV, an episode called "The Sicilian Defence".

A girl is attacked and left for dead by someone wearing a mask like a chess piece. Her fiance is missing... When the girl comes out of a coma, a killer targets members of a chess club. The father of the missing boy shouts all the time and there is an ambitious chess mother, so that sounds authentic!

Paul Logue wrote the story.

David Sedgwick

Re: Midsomer Murders

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:46 pm

This has already been mentioned in a recent post at http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=15. Perhaps that post should be moved to this thread.

I won't be able to stay in and watch the programme - I have a match.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I moved the posts

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Usual cautions apply to this Chess & Science item from the Daily Mail

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm

David Robertson wrote:Usual cautions apply to this Chess & Science item from the Daily Mail
I wonder quite how strong Mr. Lance Chance got to be - see below the line comments - before he gave up playing at his "local club".

Michael Jones

Re: Midsomer Murders

Post by Michael Jones » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:According to Radio Times, next Wednesday at 8pm on ITV, an episode called "The Sicilian Defence".

A girl is attacked and left for dead by someone wearing a mask like a chess piece. Her fiance is missing... When the girl comes out of a coma, a killer targets members of a chess club. The father of the missing boy shouts all the time and there is an ambitious chess mother, so that sounds authentic!

Paul Logue wrote the story.
Wasn't there some (non-fictional) murderer who claimed his aim was to kill one victim for every square on the board?