Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gerard Killoran

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:14 am

From an interview with Jonathan Rowson in the Irish Times https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/ther ... ?mode=amp where he says:
Christmas means is that, in our own bizarrely human way, we are caught up in an outbreak of mattering, and that always matters.

I suspect there's more than a smattering of mattering in his book.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm

"The meaning doesn’t matter if it’s only idle chatter of a transcendental kind!"

WS Gilbert

I may be getting the book in question for Christmas. At first Justin's review alarmed me, but then I thought it makes the book sound even more intriguing. The reviews released either by the publishers or Waterstones were a bit more upbeat...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 pm

To adapt Mandy Rice-Davies, they would be, wouldn't they?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:53 pm

A revamp for The London Review of Books, which is celebrating its 40th birthday by putting its entire archive of 17,500 articles online for free until mid-January as part of a digital revamp. Co-founder and editor Mary-Kay Wilmers said: “Generally, I don’t like reading pieces online but even I would consider doing so on our new website.” A glowing endorsement. (Londoner's Diary, ES 18/12/2019)
There's bound to be some chess in there - another of Justin H's stomping grounds.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:55 pm

I think there's a few pieces, though I've only ever written about it for their blog.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Whist on the subject of book reviews...

Operation Book Review.

I managed to pick up my copy of 'Soviet Outcast' by Grigory Levenfish for cash (no paper trail)
in a clandestine brown paper bag operation that saw me sneaking in a day trip to Glasgow.

Then jiffy bag wrapped up the book including a self written typed cover note asking me to review
the book so it is a freebie. Posted book to me from Glasgow so it would have Glasgow postmark.

Book arrived a few days ago. (I think I've got away with it.)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Jonathan Rowson has hit back at Justin Horton on Twitter thus:
Jonathan Rowson @Jonathan_Rowson
Dec 21
A negative review!
Some factual errors already spotted. All survived copyediting & fact checking -it happens.
But single lines presented incredulously out of context & no curiosity towards author intent.
It's a curmudgeonly hatchet job, unworthy of @TheTLS
and
Jonathan Rowson @Jonathan_Rowson
Dec 21
The book went through several edits, a final copy edit and a fact checker. Any errors that remain are my responsibility, but I’m actually *not* embarrassed by them, because- like chess(!)- some are inevitable, and I did everything I could to avoid them.
Am I being naive in thinking that authors themselves should check their facts before putting them into a final draft - if not the first?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Jonathan Rowson @Jonathan_Rowson.

no curiosity towards author intent
There's a reason for this, which is that no intent was discernable. The reason for that is that Rowson can rarely keep to the point for more than a couple of paragraphs at a time, or (as I say in the review) bother to back up any observation he makes with anything so vulgar as a supporting argument.

So as a result he's written a terrible book. It happens, and when it happens, that's what the reviewer is there to say.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:09 pm
Am I being naive in thinking that authors themselves should check their facts before putting them into a final draft - if not the first?
I was by the way, genuinely disappointed with the false quotations. The man's got more than one degree, he's written a PhD thesis (incidentally, had I had more room I would have quoted his own commentary on that thesis) and he really ought to know better than to just throw in unsourced quotations from famous people without checking them. It's lazy and it's asking for trouble.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:08 pm

"Any errors that remain are my responsibility"

Lucky him - I doubt many of you expended £90+ on my book on naming chemicals (publishers bought out original publishers and didn't understand the concept), but after I checked the proofs, the publishers then introduced errors!

New in Chess publishes an extract from the Rowson book, (about helping Anand prepare for Kramnik), rather than a review.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Funnily enough that's quite an interesting passage, for as long as it lasts. I wish it were more representative.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:56 pm

I saw Costas-Gavras's Missing again last night, for the first time in many years. One of the characters, looking forward to getting out of Chile, says something like "in a few days we'll all be playing chess in Washington Square".

Then he corrects himself and says "checkers".
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 am

I don't remember checkers being played in Washington Square.

Changing the subject

19 December 2019 I arrived in Barbados on a cruise ship. I was then unexpectedly invited to attend the Awards Ceremony of the Barbados Olympic Committee. I am jealous of the fact that chess is recognised as an Olympic sport in Barbados and they receive funding from the nationl lottery.
The Awards Ceremony took the form of a formal dinner at the Hilton Hotel. That will be the only dinner in 6 weeks that I do not eat on board the ship. Various awards were made. The junior girl, Hannah, received the award because of her chess results.
This enabled me to present her with an autographed copy of my book 'Chess Openings - Your Choice1' I had had the presence of mind to bring with me four copies of the book. I also autographed the other three and presented them to Allan Herbert, who I have known for many years, for future prizes.
The very young junior chess director also attended. So, I took off my tie at the end of th evening and presented it to him. The design was of chess pieces.

The only flaw in the evening was that several of the speeches, by very distinguished guests, many with honours, were much too long.

I forgot to add, the whole event was recorded for tv. I Don't know whether any of it was broadcast.
Last edited by Stewart Reuben on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:33 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 am

The only flaw in the evening was that several of the speeches, by very distinguished guests, many with honours, were much too long.
I can imagine
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm
"The meaning doesn’t matter if it’s only idle chatter of a transcendental kind!"

WS Gilbert

I may be getting the book in question for Christmas. At first Justin's review alarmed me, but then I thought it makes the book sound even more intriguing. The reviews released either by the publishers or Waterstones were a bit more upbeat...
If think I get a minor role in the book for making JR cry, so I’m prepared to overlook any perceived deficiencies! Although I’m not sure I’m quite suited to the role of English oppressor crushing Scottish dreams, so I would just put it down to being a ridiculous swindler.