Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Spotted in today's Metro (the 'Property' section): a feature on the dictator/celebrity-themed flat owned by Roland Emmerich. It seems that stories about this flat pop up every couple of years when he rents it out for a few months. I can't find links to the most recent articles, but here are some earlier ones:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/12/luxury-lo ... 0-6920504/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -rent.html
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/l ... k-11150810
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... d-emmerich

None of those articles (frustratingly) mention the chess pieces mentioned in today's article, which is not on the Metro website for some reason. maybe these chess pieces are a new addition to the flat's decor?

Will try and type out some of the descriptions of the chess pieces later (unless someone else has the article and is willing to do that).

EDIT: the chess set has Tony Blair (queen) and George W. Bush (king) versus Osama bin Laden (queen) and Saddam Hussein (king).

Possibly related (from 2004): https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-coali ... f-evil/795

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Edward Luce, in the Financial Times today, goes in search of an apposite metaphor. And lo! given he's discussing Trump's Russia links, guess what comes to mind? :roll:

Mr Mueller is playing a game of chess. Every move is made with his opponent’s king in mind. Last Friday, he boosted his defence by nailing Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Do not take Mr Mueller’s word for it. HR McMaster, Mr Trump’s national security adviser, said Russia’s role was “now incontrovertible”. That makes it far harder for the president to fire Mr Mueller — something he has tried to do more than once. I would bet Mr Trump now sees General McMaster as a sacrificial pawn. Mr Mueller is skilled at messing with his opponent’s head

But that's enough chess. He soon runs off in search of other guff to pad out his piece, a cascade of leaks, dumps and whatnot - the biggest Russian shoe is yet to drop...the timing of the leaks was always helpful...the largest dump took place...who is to say that smoke bomb did not alter the US election?

You may get the impression I don't think much of Mr Luce. True. I recently read a book of his, The Retreat of Western Liberalism, a promising title with promising reviews. In fact, it's superficial, opinionated, and source-free rubbish from start to finish. 100% ultracrepidarianism. Avoid

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 am

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm
You may get the impression I don't think much of Mr Luce. True.
Well spotted. Even by the standards of FT columnists, the man is a shameless establishment shill.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 am

Slight variation on a theme: the South Korean Olympic women's curling team is becoming an unlikely media hit at the current games - the team members are stars and the sport is popular (for a few weeks?). "Student Jung Hyun-jung, 22, says that having watched the Games with his relatives, he would like to play. "Curling is an unfamiliar sport for Koreans," he says, adding "but now I really love it. It's like chess.""
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43141628

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 am

Andy Stoker wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 am
Slight variation on a theme: the South Korean Olympic women's curling team is becoming an unlikely media hit at the current games - the team members are stars and the sport is popular (for a few weeks?). "Student Jung Hyun-jung, 22, says that having watched the Games with his relatives, he would like to play. "Curling is an unfamiliar sport for Koreans," he says, adding "but now I really love it. It's like chess.""
The curling rink has roughly the same temperature as Chorlton's venue during the winter, so yes :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:10 pm

"The curling rink has roughly the same temperature as Chorlton's venue during the winter, so yes "

Brilliant! Redhill's old venue was similar...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 am

"All the competitors in a chess tournament arrested for making threats to the king" says the Spanish satirical weekly El Jueves ("Thursday") with reference to the case of Valtònyc.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Headline London Evening Standard Friday 23 February
CHECKMATE ON CHEQUERS DEAL AS EU SAYS: NO WAY TO MRS MAY

I would have thought it more like stalemate

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm
I would have thought it more like stalemate
I'd say it's just a game, stalemate means no more moves.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Today's Huffington Post

John Dean Explains How Donald Trump's Presidency Could End Very Soon
'Checkmate is coming.'
By Chris York
A former White House counsel to Richard Nixon claims Donald Trump may be nearing his own Watergate moment and the end of his presidency.
John Dean said indicted one-time Trump campaign manager, Paul Manafort, is “the link to Russian collusion” and is facing a “checkmate” scenario as the Special Counsel investigation closes in.

Another misuse of the term 'checkmate'.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:51 pm

page 24. 'Churchill's Wizards' The British Genius for Deception 1914-1945 by Nicholas Rankin.

"Denniston [Alastair] became the cryptologist who later headed the Government Code and Cipher School
(GC&CS nicknamed the Golf, Cheese and Chess Society, the forerunner of GCHQ) and who started Bletchley Park.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:27 am

"(GC&CS nicknamed the Golf, Cheese and Chess Society, the forerunner of GCHQ) and who started Bletchley Park."

I've seen it as "Golf Club and Chess Society" as well...

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

A good book. Apparently at the beginning of WWI some officers thought
it ungentlemanly to camouflage things. When persuaded to do otherwise
it was done so in a neat and equally paced out formation with squared off corners.

It became easier for the enemy to spot something camouflaged than left alone.
Clump of square bushes all the same size and lined up as though on a parade ground.

I've often thought of my Black Dragon Bishop as a camouflaged Bishop.
Sometimes I mask it so well even I cannot find it on the chessboard.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 am

AnthonyKent wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm
I confess to being chess consultant to BBC's Eastenders. Last night, Patrick spectacularly checkmated Ted (Christopher Timothy - AKA James Herriot in All Creatures Great and Small) in the allotment shed. On Monday, Ted was practicing in his shed and played a RxN Sicilian Dragon sacrifice as black when Bernadette walked in for a lesson (his line about 'playing with himself' was a bit naughty).

It has been an interesting experience, and will hopefully continue for a few weeks. No spoilers!

Here is my general blog on the subject.

http://borehamwood.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... nders.html
Loads of chess on eastenders!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:22 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."