Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am

"Loads of chess on eastenders!"

And sporadically on Neighbours. Recently a mystery man broke into Paul Robinson's apartment and stole the white king from the rather nice wooden Staunton pattern set he uses. Later mystery man saw PR in the bar and snapped the king in half (a metaphor probably). I have never tried to snap a king in half, but I doubt it's easy. PR wouldn't buy rubbish.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Commentator on Welsh Open snooker (Eurosport) has just said that Ronnie O'Sullivan should have played chess as he always sees several moves ahead.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 am

Ad in The Daily Telegraph for a book called
RACISM AT WORK
There is a small picture of a White King, White Queen a space and then a Black pawn. I don't know whether there is any textual reference in the book.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 am
There is a small picture of a White King, White Queen a space and then a Black pawn. I don't know whether there is any textual reference in the book.
No doubt it mentions that a black pawn can become a black queen, or checkmate a white king.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alasdair MacLeod

Post by Alasdair MacLeod » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm

4th pic down - Bobby Moore playing chess against Franz Beckenbauer;

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... SApp_Other

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Alasdair MacLeod wrote:
    Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm
      4th pic down - Bobby Moore playing chess against Franz Beckenbauer;https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... SApp_Other
      Whaddya reckon? Bobby's lost his KR; he's 'a bit loose' on the Q-side; and Franz looks to have nine men behind the ball. Can't see this going to penalties

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:03 pm

‘Thou shalt not always beat us at chess’: an alternative 10 commandments for robots (The Guardian)
      Stuart Heritage wrote:Thou shalt occasionally let Garry Kasparov beat you at chess, because it is starting to hurt his feelings a bit.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 pm

El País in English:
      One of Marco’s “greatest hits,” as Cercas calls it, concerned a symbolic occurrence at the Flossenbürg concentration camp, in which he falsely claimed he was imprisoned by the Nazis during World War II. Upon being invited to play chess with an SS officer (so the story goes), Marco quickly realized that the dull-minded soldier was no match for him; yet he also sensed that a victory might cost him his life. The defiant inmate nevertheless refused to concede and thus won much more than a game of chess. “That day, I reclaimed my dignity,” he said when telling this richly detailed lie on Spanish TV in 2004: “I won the battle of Stalingrad.”

Not quite. Like many such stories that Marco told during his “golden age,” when he enjoyed fame and adulation in Spain for supposedly defying the Nazis and the Franco regime, it was pure fiction.
      "Do you play chess?"
      "Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am

With strict rules around the handling of weapons and ammunition, the Civilian Marksmanship Program claims that air rifle has one of the lowest injury rates of all youth sports. “It’s even safer than the chess club,” joked Menjik who could not recall an injury in all his years of coaching.
      Guardian
      "Do you play chess?"
      "Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm

David Robertson wrote:
      Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 pm
      Alasdair MacLeod wrote:
      Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm
        4th pic down - Bobby Moore playing chess against Franz Beckenbauer;https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... SApp_Other
        Whaddya reckon? Bobby's lost his KR; he's 'a bit loose' on the Q-side; and Franz looks to have nine men behind the ball. Can't see this going to penalties
        Both Rooks appear to be still on the board. But I think Moore is just spectating - the player of the White pieces has gone to find a chair!

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Scottish Grandmaster debating with Jordan Peterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrxtj8FIQA

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:27 pm

"This is an old school Serie A chess match" BT Sport commentator after about 36 minutes of Inter Milan-Napoli which is still 0-0.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm

This happened just across the road from where I live. I remember hearing about it at the time but hadn't realised chess was involved.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05y4j8k#play Time 53:30 West London Chess Club discussion/womens chess

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 pm

"The game resembling a chess match" comments the BT Sport commentator as the half time whistle goes in the goalless Man U-Sevilla Champions league second leg.