Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:35 pm
Nigel looked much younger than 13, I thought he was 9 in that picture.
He was actually 12 (DoB 1.6.65)

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 pm
ben.graff wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:23 pm
Kasparov seems to be sceptical about the actual chess positions in the series, but more positive about the authenticity of the chess tournament atmosphere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/arts ... tflix.html
The photo at the start of the NY Times article doesn't look realistic. White has moved but the clock hasn't been started.
I'm slightly surprised there hasn't been more comment about "The Queen's Gambit" film as it seems to be receiving very favourable reviews, something calculated to increase general interest in chess.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:58 pm

Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:04 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm slightly surprised there hasn't been more comment about "The Queen's Gambit" film as it seems to be receiving very favourable reviews, something calculated to increase general interest in chess.
I watched the first episode, and the chess part is fun for me (although the main character is way too overpowered at this stage of the story).
I am not fond of the substance abuse part. Might watch the second episode today.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Facebook photo of young Short
Go on, how many opponents can the forum identify
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Mastermind this evening:

John Humphrys:

In chess, which pieces can be promoted into more powerful pieces if they reach the opposing player's back row of the board?

Contestant:

Knights?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:

I watched the whole series last night and was quite impressed, defintely one of the least boring chess themed programmes I've ever seen.
The chess is pretty decent standard, even though they use the caveman notation (though I can forgive them that as the show is set during the 60s) and there are little in jokes refering to the arrogance of players who believe themselves a lot better then they actually are (e.g. claiming to know opening theory, only to get massacred within 10 moves, or demanding a resignation mid game when they believe themselves winning). I also appreciated the fact that the "villainous' players utilise skanky openings like Caro Kahn or anti Sicilians or abuse the adjudication process to attempt to ruin our heroines open attacking games.
The only thing I might criticise is that every game (and I mean EVERY) in the series ends in either a win or loss - draws being seen as merely a means to attempt to weasel out of an obviously lost position.

All in all I would rate it a solid must see for any chess player and will surely be a good gateway for non players to find their way into the game too.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:06 pm
The only thing I might criticise is that every game (and I mean EVERY) in the series ends in either a win or loss - draws being seen as merely a means to attempt to weasel out of an obviously lost position.
I seem to recall that from the novel as well, making it unrealistic as a fictional depiction of how a female equivalent of Fischer might have fared.

I did wonder whether elements of the life of Lisa Lane were a real life inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Lane

Wiki doesn't mention it, but she achieved some notoriety in England by entering Hastings and then declining to play in morning rounds, or was it morning adjournments?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Roger Lancaster wrote:

I watched the whole series last night and was quite impressed, defintely one of the least boring chess themed programmes I've ever seen.
The chess is pretty decent standard, even though they use the caveman notation (though I can forgive them that as the show is set during the 60s) and there are little in jokes refering to the arrogance of players who believe themselves a lot better then they actually are (e.g. claiming to know opening theory, only to get massacred within 10 moves, or demanding a resignation mid game when they believe themselves winning). I also appreciated the fact that the "villainous' players utilise skanky openings like Caro Kahn or anti Sicilians or abuse the adjudication process to attempt to ruin our heroines open attacking games.

All in all I would rate it a solid must see for any chess player and will surely be a good gateway for non players to find their way into the game too.
There is an article on the Welsh Chess Union website today about the Queen's Gambit.
This is part of the article:
"A former Wales Junior International, Paul Atkinson from Gwent, (who currently lives and plays in Berlin), worked as an on-set consultant and even gets a mention in the credits too!"

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:57 pm
Joey Stewart wrote:
I seem to recall that from the novel as well, making it unrealistic as a fictional depiction of how a female equivalent of Fischer might have fared.

I did wonder whether elements of the life of Lisa Lane were a real life inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Lane

Wiki doesn't mention it, but she achieved some notoriety in England by entering Hastings and then declining to play in morning rounds, or was it morning adjournments?

I felt like her character was not so much based on any particular female players but more a combination of world champion traits - if you took the innate natural ability of capablanca, the dominant style of Fischer and the lifestyle of Mikhail Tal I imagine it would be a very close match.
The writers were were defintely trying to put her over as a strong world champion level player, but even someone that good is still going to conceed a lot of draws, it almost seemed like they decided that the viewers could never deem a draw to be an acceptable result to any game ever.
Last edited by Joey Stewart on Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm

"Queen's Gambit" was made in USA, where they don't tend to have draws in sport, there's some sort of tie-break. Perhaps they thought chess was still like Steinitz - Anderssen (1866).

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 pm

I thought the chess was handled as well as could be expected. Check out Zibbit's analysis of the games shown https://youtu.be/RSKwEfa9Ug0 - attention spoilers ahead.

As for the substance abuse, when she turned up for a game with a massive hangover, then went on a week long bender after losing, I thought, there's someone who could have been at home at Hackney Chess Club, she's taking it quite well.

Perhaps the imagery was anticipated in 1909 as seen in this long lost classic.

Kinematograph Weekly - Thursday 15 April 1909 .png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:35 pm

"Haunted Chess Player"

£6 seems a lot for 1909. I did a quick search on BFI (British Film Institute) database with no luck, but I think it was before their time. They try to have a copy of every film, but there are limits of course. It does sound good though, there's probably enough info there for someone to make a new one.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:44 pm

We've not seen one of these for a while. (Via John Hartmann.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm

For fans of extended metaphors

Kinematograph Weekly - Thursday 04 March 1915.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.