Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard James

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Richard James » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 pm

JustinHorton wrote:It's Ravel Day on Radio Three and their Twitter account informs us:

Ravel fact: In 1924 he played chess with Prokofiev! The battle of the board has been recreated on Youtube.

Is the game straight up?
I'm also enjoying Ravel Day on Radio Three.

To the best of my knowledge this game is a hoax perpetrated by the same Frenchman who was responsible for the hoax game and problems ascribed to Pope John Paul II.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Chess as prison rehabilitation in Uruguay:

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/vie ... 41313.html

An escape from the reality of prison, a way to stay out once released, and a strong desire to share the benefits. Heartwarming story.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:21 pm

That Uruguay film is very good. I just sent the url to The Gambia, although the recipient, Joseph Dalliah, is more interested in teaching children chess. The problem is that he can only access it in an internet café - and that is costly for him. But like the ex-con money is needed for him to teach chess in schools in The Gambia. When we went last year he achieved a rating of about 2050.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Sorry, I forgot something about that Uruguay film.
I don't have the technical know-how to download it onto my computer or better yet, a DVD. Can anybody help?

Brendan Brown

Post by Brendan Brown » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Nice to see on Channel 4's "Goggle Box" that William Hartston has been awarded the GM title. :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Very brief mention of chess in a painting here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26529309

'Tove Jansson: Love, war and the Moomins'

(for those who have read the books, you also find out who 'Thingumy and Bob' represent)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 pm

"Russia must not lose a game of chess in the Ukraine" - the French ambassador to the UN, in an address to the General Assembly. Two minutes ago.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 am

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Ukraine gave up the world's 3rd largest nuclear arsenal for guarantees from the major powers, now it is a pawn in a global chess game - Iran and North Korea will have noted that. (Sunday night, BBC Radio 4 Westminster Hour, that only lasts 45 mins.)

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Started two hours ago, a live Q&A on Reddit with Magnus Carlsen. He owes his world domination to raisins apparently...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2 ... rld_chess/

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks for that. Has anyone tried the Play Magnus app?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Thanks for that. Has anyone tried the Play Magnus app?
I have. Report in brief: (A) he’s not a natural teacher. (B) the concept of playing 10 year old Mangus, 11 year old, 12 year old ... etc is a really good one. I doubt the engine actually matches Carlsen at a particular age in any meaningful way, but it’s fun anyway.

Aimed at general public rather than rated chessers, I reckon.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 pm

This is more of an "absence of media comments about chess", but has anyone yet seen anything in the press about Keith Arkell's European 50+ win? Maybe it's a bit early for the regular chess columnists, as they have longer deadlines? I've been disappointed that my own daily paper hasn't mentioned it at all over the past 2 weeks, though it was obvious fairly early on that Keith had a good chance. I know that objectively it wasn't the strongest ever competition, but still, a European champion is something to celebrate isn't it?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm

I have informed all the national chess columnists and some more local to where Keith lives. Also the Prime Minister.
The ECF has no press officer, nor marketing director. It is certainly not a skill I have.
Should Keith win the rapidplay and/or the blitz it extends the story. Both, 3 European Championships in 2 weeks is quite a story. Of course swimmers do that and more.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I have informed all the national chess columnists and some more local to where Keith lives. Also the Prime Minister.
The ECF has no press officer, nor marketing director. It is certainly not a skill I have.
Should Keith win the rapidplay and/or the blitz it extends the story. Both, 3 European Championships in 2 weeks is quite a story. Of course swimmers do that and more.
Well that's very good to hear, quick work. :D