Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John McKenna

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by John McKenna » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:23 am

Pardon my puzzlement but is not "THE CHESS PIECES" a book?
Presumably not by JH Donner or even Hitman Glass so who is the author?
Perchance the post above by Stewart R should have gone in the "Where is chess in fiction thread....
Please?"

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:12 pm

I have an imaginary yacht, god bless all, who sail in her.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:40 pm

In today's Independent letters:
Sandy Ruxton (Oxford) wrote:
Concentrating can be fun

If Tristram Hunt wants schools to teach children attentiveness (“Children ‘need lessons in how to concentrate’ ”, 10 February), one easy and fun way to do it would be to introduce chess lessons to the curriculum.

I coach chess in a primary school every week – one of more than 280 inner-city schools reached by the pioneering charity Chess in Schools and Communities. Not only does playing chess clearly help children to concentrate in a quiet environment, but it also improves the ability to think critically, solve problems, and manage emotions.

It also provides potential for positive role modelling. Mr Hunt only has to ask his colleagues Rachel Reeves and the Eagle twins, all former chess prodigies.
I only noticed it in the print version of the newspaper because the margin highlighting, in large bold type, said:

"Chess improves the ability to think critically, solve problems, and manage emotions"

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:33 pm

"Chess improves the ability to think critically, solve problems, and manage emotions"

We see frequent evidence of this on the forum.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

In case anyone missed it the first couple of times around (like I did), a programme that includes a bit on the Turk chess automaton can be seen in the repeat of the BBC4 program 'Mechanical Marvels: Clockwork Dreams':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... rk_Dreams/

The guy presenting it (Simon Schaffer) was my lecturer in the History of Science course I did back in 1996-7. :)

The program was first broadcast June 2013 and appears to have been repeated several times since, judging by this:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... rk#p122067
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... rk#p110924

Also this (from the above previous forum thread):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21876120

The BBC4 program is available to watch until next Thursday (20th February). The bit about the Turk chess automaton appears at the end (I only saw the second half of the programme last night).

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Afternoon all

I come across this story in the Daily Mail about a rough sleeper who plays chess take a look wonder what chess strength he is maybe a chess organizer on here could invite him to a tournament and throw in free bed and board. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gging.html

Lot of rain here today so will not venture out we have everything we need here plenty of soups and Carol going to cook one of her amazing omelets shame your never get to taste them :wink:
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:54 am

From Moonraker by Ian Fleming.

Bond has just caught Drax cheating at cards and we get treated to:

Of course I had a little piece of fun with this.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread ... postid=160

I've started reading all the Bond series, now on my 4th one.
They are very good and one must forget the films.
The films have little to do with the story in the book.
As I say in the link, in Moonraker Bond never leaves England, in the film he ends up in space.

And no Jaws.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 am

On my second cruise from Miami. On both ships they have had a giant chess set and they are used by players other than me. Carnival and NCL lines.
I have been on others and they have had one on deck.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Chess on Ice was the lead-in headline to this piece on Curling. Alas the website editor seems not to have read the article - it contains no mention of chess!

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes Curling even in Wiki entries is described as "Chess On Ice" which I've never really understood. Seems more like Extreme Ironing to me.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:47 pm

David Robertson wrote:Chess on Ice was the lead-in headline to this piece on Curling. Alas the website editor seems not to have read the article - it contains no mention of chess!
It's a quote from the BBC resident expert on curling, Jackie Lockhart. She certainly referred to "Chess on Ice" in an interview this morning on "Breakfast" - and during curling coverage I have heard her use this term on several occasions.

She is also exhorting the general populace to take up curling and pointed out that opportunities were available in the South of England in Sheffield. I suppose to someone from Scotland that might be "the south of England".

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Chess on Ice was the lead-in headline to this piece on Curling. Alas the website editor seems not to have read the article - it contains no mention of chess!
It's a quote from the BBC resident expert on curling, Jackie Lockhart. She certainly referred to "Chess on Ice" in an interview this morning on "Breakfast" - and during curling coverage I have heard her use this term on several occasions.

She is also exhorting the general populace to take up curling and pointed out that opportunities were available in the South of England in Sheffield. I suppose to someone from Scotland that might be "the south of England".
There is a curling rink near Tunbridge Wells, the stereotypical South

PB

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 pm

“Football is not a chess game” - A. Wenger on radio 5 just now.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 pm

"....that opportunities were available in the South of England in Sheffield. I suppose to someone from Scotland that might be "the south of England".

It's the running joke up here, after Scotland gets it's Independance England shall hence forth be known as Southern Scotland.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi Geoff,
Somewhere on the EC Forum you can find General Jack Rudd advocating an army be despatched from Liverpool to Edinburgh. However, Admiral Robert Thompson wanted it sent to Yorkshire to stop the French sailing into London!?
Don't they know it is too late? The Scots have already taken control of England by chronic infiltration and an army of French recently arrived in London (armed with loads of money).
John