Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ken Norman

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:13 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 am
I played a one game a day tournament in Paignton two years ago this month (indeed the last OTB chess I've played to date).
I thought the Paignton Tournament moved to Torquay many years ago when the Torbay Council sold Oldway mansion to developers.

The Torquay Tournament is I believe now deceased as they have no organiser and no venue.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:23 am

I'd be interested to know either way, but it was alive two years ago (and being referred to as Paignton despite technically being, as you say, in Torquay instead).
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 pm
Incidentally trying to find images to back that up led me to this photo and trying to find more information on that photo led me to the information that Leo Genn - Petronius in Quo Vadis - appeared on Desert Island Discs in 1953 and requested " a chess set with a book of problems" as his luxury. (Aaron Copland in 1958 also requested a chess set, as did Steve Race in 1959, and other guests in other decades which I may get round to listing at the weekend.)
Also bringing chess to the desert island:

Leslie Phillips (1962) chess set with jade pieces
CH Jaeger (1968) chess set
John Lill (1970) Modern Chess Openings
Lorin Maazel (1971) chess set with a problem book
Joe Bugner (1973) chess set
Jacob Bronowski (1974) volume on chess championship play, antique chess set
Philip Hope-Wallace (1986) ivory chess set
Roger Vadim (1986) chess computer
Robert Maxwell (1987) chess computer game
Robert Lindsay (1992) computer chess set
Terry Waite (1992) chess computer
Robert May (2002) Capablanca's Hundred Best Games of Chess by Hans (sic) Golombek, Isle of Lewis chess set from The British Museum
Robin Cook (2002) chess computer
Demis Hassabis (2017) solar-powered chess computer
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:15 pm

Ken Norman wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 am
A very good point from Stewart. The one game tournament no longer exist in England (apart from the British). If you want to play one game a day you have to travel to Europe .
Don't forget Hastings please.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:21 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:15 pm
London Classic FIDE Open, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey. The latter three could be considered abroad and there are no clear plans for any of them to run in 2021 or 2022.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:19 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:23 am
I'd be interested to know either way, but it was alive two years ago (and being referred to as Paignton despite technically being, as you say, in Torquay instead).
You are right Justin.
There was a Paignton tournament a couple of years ago.
It was held over the space of 5 or 6 days with one game per day. The tournament had been running for many years and is held in September. Someone I knew played in it and won the Majors a number of years ago.
The Torquay tournament being referred to is the Torbay Chess Congress which is a five rounder played over the weekend in November.
There is also the Beacon Seniors down there also which is also 5 rounder weekday tournament with an Over 65s and Over 50s in October.
Also there is the Teignmouth Rapidplay.
I believe a number of OTB tournaments have been announced recently for this year and next on the Cornwall County Chess Association website.
http://www.cornwallchess.org.uk
Hope this helps a bit.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:19 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
You are right Justin.
It was held over the space of 5 or 6 days with one game per day. The tournament had been running for many years. Someone I knew played in it and won the Majors.
The Torquay tournament being referred to is the Torquay Chess Congress which is a five rounder played over the weekend.
I suggest you read this and this.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:48 pm

The Hastings Masters is starting 29 December and will be one game a day Covid willing.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:
You are right Justin.
It was held over the space of 5 or 6 days with one game per day. The tournament had been running for many years. Someone I knew played in it and won the Majors.
The Torquay tournament being referred to is the Torquay Chess Congress which is a five rounder played over the weekend.
I suggest you read this and this.
Thanks Ian, I've changed my dates. Are you playing in Scarborough in October?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 pm

The big issue with one-game-a-day tournaments is that they tend to be very expensive to run. Venue hire is typically not cheap in this country.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm

On 'Richard Osman's House of Games' this week, in the 'highbrow/lowbrow' round, the highbrow question was "To which square does White move the King's Pawn in the King's Gambit opening?" The contestant replied a3. On being given the lowbrow question (which I can't remember) she changed her answer to c4. At this point the other contestants were allowed to buzz in, and the first one to do so gave the correct answer.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:35 pm

Channel 4
F1 Italian GP Sprint Qualifying Highlights
Incident involving the racing driver Sergio Perez was discussed on the pit radio between the Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner and Michael the race controller.
The commentator David Coulthard said "This is the chess game of Formula 1".

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:
You are right Justin.
It was held over the space of 5 or 6 days with one game per day. The tournament had been running for many years and is held in September. Someone I knew played in it and won the Majors a number of years ago.
The Torquay tournament being referred to is the Torbay Chess Congress which is a five rounder played over the weekend in November.
There is also the Beacon Seniors down there also which is also 5 rounder weekday tournament with an Over 65s and Over 50s in October.
Also there is the Teignmouth Rapidplay.

I believe a number of OTB tournaments have been announced recently for this year and next on the Cornwall County Chess Association website.
http://www.cornwallchess.org.uk
Hope this helps a bit.
The 2019 Beacon Seniors was the final tournament.

The only one game a day Seniors Tournament now played in England is the British Seniors.

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:21 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:15 pm
London Classic FIDE Open, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey. The latter three could be considered abroad and there are no clear plans for any of them to run in 2021 or 2022.
Roger,
I think if you have fly in a plane or travel on a boat across the sea to reach the playing venue most people would consider that abroad.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Ken Norman wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 pm
The 2019 Beacon Seniors was the final tournament.
This was in Exmouth, no?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com