Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:04 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 am
but I didnt know about Rachel Reeves until recently
Whan she first emerged, her CV said she was a former "British chess champion". That was correct but it was as champion of the now seemingly defunct BWCA (British Women's Chess Association). I believe she also worked at Chess & Bridge for a while when a student and was featured on the cover pictured outside the shop if I recall correctly.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:04 am
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 am
but I didnt know about Rachel Reeves until recently
Whan she first emerged, her CV said she was a former "British chess champion". That was correct but it was as champion of the now seemingly defunct BWCA (British Women's Chess Association). I believe she also worked at Chess & Bridge for a while when a student and was featured on the cover pictured outside the shop if I recall correctly.
she was 129 bcf in 1997 if its the same Rachel Reeves, according to the ecf ratings site. She seems to have not played seriously after that date. My own politics are complex but lets just say I am hopefull for a Labour Government but havent been exclusively Labour. It would be great to have a chess playing chancellor.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 am

she was 129 bcf in 1997 if its the same Rachel Reeves, according to the ecf ratings site. She seems to have not played seriously after that date. My own politics are complex but lets just say I am hopefull for a Labour Government but havent been exclusively Labour. It would be great to have a chess playing chancellor.
i havent checked the R Reeves ecf accounts she may be under a few different accounts.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:18 pm

God appears to be studying a chess problem in this clip from the 1968 Soviet cartoon Hellish Jokes
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:52 am
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:46 pm
Nick, you seem to be a paid-up member of the Conservative party.
That is a remarkable leap of imagination. Are there any other insights you would like to share?
I would like to share my insight that you are not a paid-up member of the Conservative Party.

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:28 am
Nick. 10 July you posted Oh well, I wouldn't have been supporting him anyway.
Since you are not an MP, you would only have been able to support him, or anybody else, if he reached the last two AND you are a member of the Conservative party.
I am not a member of the ECF Council, nor of the FIDE General Assembly. That doesn't preclude me from expressing my support for candidates in ECF or FIDE elections, if I feel so inclined.

Moreover, to the best of my knowledge the Conservative Party have not yet announced a cut off date for members to have the right to vote in the final stage of the leadership election. They may of course decide not to extend that right to anyone who is not already a member.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:06 pm

Daily Telegraph 2nd July:

US crowned king of world chess as Russian players desert Putin

"In the latest rating list published by the game’s governing body FIDE, the US boasts 13 grandmasters in the world’s top 100 compared with Russia’s 12, down from 22 five years ago. The list of America’s top 10 players also has the highest average rating of any country."

Later: "Russia still has by far the greatest strength in depth".

FIDE Director General Sutovsky comments that this has been because so many Russian GMs now play under the flag of FIDE.

Sutovsky:"However, the problem is not only in the brain drain – there are almost no candidates for getting into the top 100 among young Russians.”

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:41 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:10 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:52 am
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:46 pm
Nick, you seem to be a paid-up member of the Conservative party.
That is a remarkable leap of imagination. Are there any other insights you would like to share?
I would like to share my insight that you are not a paid-up member of the Conservative Party.

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:28 am
Nick. 10 July you posted Oh well, I wouldn't have been supporting him anyway.
Since you are not an MP, you would only have been able to support him, or anybody else, if he reached the last two AND you are a member of the Conservative party.
I am not a member of the ECF Council, nor of the FIDE General Assembly. That doesn't preclude me from expressing my support for candidates in ECF or FIDE elections, if I feel so inclined.

Moreover, to the best of my knowledge the Conservative Party have not yet announced a cut off date for members to have the right to vote in the final stage of the leadership election. They may of course decide not to extend that right to anyone who is not already a member.
David Sedgwick you have strange ideas that we live in a democracy with free speech and freedom of ideas. sarcasm

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:04 pm

In the last Sunday Times, there was a review of a thriller. The Partisan by Patrick Worrell (Bantam Press 316.99)
The review was headed by EVERY MOVE COUNTS IN A DEADLY GAME OF COLD WAR CHESS.
It mentions in the review that two of the protagonists met at a chess tournament.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:23 pm

The Partisan requested for local library.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:06 pm

Apparently
McIlroy compared this tournament week (the Open - ejh) to a game of chess
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:26 pm

In the novel, Patriots by Steve Sohmer (1991) we read:
Lermontov brought his portable chessboard with the flat, magnetic counters printed with the symbols for chessmen. The two were well matched; both played the hypermodern game. They opened 1 P-QB4, Kt-KB3; 2 Kt-QB3, P-K3; 3 Kt-B3, P-B4; 4 P-K3, B-K2. On the fourteenth move, Lermontov played P-QR3 and Handlesman responded KtxKt, which led to 15 RxKt and Kt-B3.
Apart from the complete lack of hypermodernism in the above, which game is being quoted?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:01 pm

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Correct, the book continues
Lermontov looked up. “‘Aha! Keres versus Smyslov. Zurich, 1955.”

“1953,” Jake said, with obvious delight. From that moment, for twenty years, their friendship grew.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:56 pm

That's another one we'd have loved to have had
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:44 am

New Yorker piece prominently mentioning a well-known podcaster and occasional contributor to this forum
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com