Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Nothing wrong with the Petrov or Petroff or call it that copycat move that Black plays sometimes.

As with all openings it can explode in your face but it does take two to tango.

My take on things.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... p--boo.403

Laying the blame solely on increments. The clocks are OK, they are just being misused and now smothering the game.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm
Laying the blame solely on increments.
Sorry Geoff, we are in agreement on many things but this is gibberish. Two players bashing out K&N v K&N to see whose flag falls is not what serious chess audiences want to see. Nor is arbiters stepping in to adjudicate. A minimal increment makes incontestable sense.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Adam Ashton wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 am
Also note the Shakespeare misquotation
Nit-picking aside, quite a decent article.
And it has the merit of a wide audience, in contrast to relatively obscure chess blog sites - even this one!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm
And it has the merit of a wide audience
Really? I had never heard of this site, and a quick view suggests that it is nothing more than a collecting point for opinionated garbage produced by a clique who have nothing better to do than to demonstrate to each other that their views are far more important than those of the unwashed masses.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 am

Hi Nick,

You are fearing extreme cases. I cannot recall any pre-increment W.C. Matches where players are bashing out K&N v K&N to see whose flag falls.

I just do not like increments, chess got by without them for 150 years when clocks first appeared.
It was meant to raise the level of the game but has got out of hand. If I did not know any better I'd
strongly suspect someone has had their palm greased by the makers of these cursed clocks to make them
mandatory at FIDE events. There are some players out there who have never played without increments.

Before increments we had decisive games. Look at it now. Something is wrong.

The players have not got better, It is because they are being protected from blundering and you cannot produce
a positive result unless someone blunders. (nit-picker alert...or loses on time or resigns in a won position ) and
the current crop of top players are lapping it up. It's the easiest money they ever made. They won't want increments
stopped in classical games. It will expose them to time trouble blunders and their fragile ego's must be protected.

It's like running a mile where the marshalls keep moving the finishing line further and further away to give the one lagging
behind time to catch up. So the runners have decided to hold hands crossing the finishing line and race the 100 yards instead.
(wise guy alert - hope Usain Bolt does not take up chess then - adds laughing emoji.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:36 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 am
You are fearing extreme cases. I cannot recall any pre-increment W.C. Matches where players are bashing out K&N v K&N to see whose flag falls.
Of course not, because they didn't have quickplay finishes.

It's a simple enough trade off. If you abolish time controls that specify the game goes on forever because every 16 or 20 moves there's another hour added, then you potentially hand the result over to the arbiters or risk King and Knight v King and Knight.

The compromise was rather than have an increment of 60 minutes every 20 moves, have one of 30 seconds every single move. Perhaps add 10 minutes every 20 moves if you want the drama of seconds remaining.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 am

Hi Roger,

No extra hours after the last one. I said I want 40 moves in 2 hours, 1 hour for 20 then 15 minutes added on to finish the game.
That is 7½ max for each game. It was the 1995 conditions, (maybe they had 30 minutes....but 15 minutes is my choice.)

There is something going on in the game that was not there before. It's not super computer and opening theory.
It is something that is happening during the game where the fault is. I've singled out increments, it is the major change in the past 20 years.
Last edited by Geoff Chandler on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:47 am

I've done it again....tried to edit a post and posted a new one.

Better not admit to it Geoffrey old boy, they will think you are an idiot.

Tell a joke.

How many FIDE reps should it take to change a light bulb.

None - there was nothing wrong with the old light bulb...it worked.
The new one is getting dimming and dimmer, it is now flashing a warning.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm
And it has the merit of a wide audience
Really? I had never heard of this site, and a quick view suggests that it is nothing more than a collecting point for opinionated garbage produced by a clique who have nothing better to do than to demonstrate to each other that their views are far more important than those of the unwashed masses.
Nick, my comment about "a wide audience" referred to the Mail, which I thought I contrasted clearly with "relatively obscure chess blog sites".

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:49 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 am

No extra hours after the last one. I said I want 40 moves in 2 hours, 1 hour for 20 then 15 minutes added on to finish the game.
That is 7½ max for each game. It was the 1995 conditions, (maybe they had 30 minutes....but 15 minutes is my choice.)

You then run the risk of the World Championship being decided by an arbiter. No thanks.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi Roger,

I think you run more risk of an arbiter stepping in if he feels the need (which after all is his paid job) in a game
with increments because in theory that could go and on and on. Without increments that could not happen.
Last edited by Geoff Chandler on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm
Without increments that could not happen.
Are you unfamiliar with rules allowing players to claim a draw because their opponent isn't able or isn't trying to win by normal means? These proved necessary for the several decades during which most UK tournament games were determined by quickplay finishes or were rapidplay events anyway.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Roger,

I know the rules and I can also see what is happening. Played 12 Drew 12.

I predicted this would happen back in 2011.

"I'm sorry but this increment of time per move is killing the game."

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3802&p=80023&hilit=increment#p80023

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:04 pm
I know the rules and I can also see what is happening. Played 12 Drew 12.
Despite the opposition of some arbiters to adding increments during the game, the simple solution is that you start up the increment at move 61. Playing 40 moves in two hours is the same timing as playing 40 moves in 100 minutes with 30 second increments, so removing the increment is unlikely to have much if any effect on openings and middle games, which was where both players excelled at neutralising dangerous possibilities.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi Roger,

We are not going to a agree and have gone over this before. I do not want increments at all.