Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:11 pm
Harry Lamb stood in Breightmet, Bolton

BATES Richard Lib Dem 61
BOLTON Dan Green 138
LAMB Harry UKIP 242
PLATT Francesca Lab 1278
WARREN Adele Con 1549
Spoiled votes 2 Turnout 34.38%
Richard Bates?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Different. He's called "I'M Richard Bates"

And Harry Lamb. He'd never compared UKIP to the Black Death. To black pudding maybe - though this can cause black death too

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 am

"Wednesday there was an ad on TV about small figurines. That featured was a chess piece and the voice-0ver spoke about 'Preston Schools U11 Chess Championship'."

I assume you did not recognise the speaker as Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff, former cricketer, who certainly played chess at school. Ads are confusing - I think that one is about websites, but you need to watch it a few times before realising that. There's an ad about crashing a hot air balloon into people's property, which apparently will get you to drink a certain brand of cider, unless you think I'm not putting money in the hands of people who recklessly fly hot air balloons.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat May 05, 2018 1:01 pm

What is it with chess players and UKIP? We don't even have the "anti-establishment" excuse any more, since the establishment co-opted UKIP's single policy. If you support UKIP in 2018, it's because somewhere along the line your ideal Britain has fewer dark-skinned people in it than it has today. And yet our chess clubs are still, to use Katie Hopkins' favourite term, infested with Kippers.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat May 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Are they really?

My own local club (Barrow) is in a Brexit-friendly area, I can think of maybe one or two regulars who *might* have voted for them.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sat May 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Chris Goodall: I think it ill-advised to bring implied negative comments on players' private and legal political beliefs to a chess forum.

PB

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:43 pm
Chris Goodall: I think it ill-advised to bring implied negative comments on players' private and legal political beliefs to a chess forum.

PB
I wonder why you never hear Labour or Tory supporters explaining that their beliefs aren't actually illegal. It's almost as if Kippers understand that a policy of deporting 50% of the kids from our local junior club is indefensible, and "it's legal" is literally the best thing they can say about it.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 am

Maybe bring this particular thread back to appearances of chess in the media?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun May 06, 2018 10:30 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 am
Excellent plan! No need to bring up the topic of local election candidates who aren't going to garner enough votes to even register in their local media.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Sun May 06, 2018 11:12 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 pm
I wonder why you never hear Labour or Tory supporters explaining that their beliefs aren't actually illegal. It's almost as if Kippers understand that a policy of deporting 50% of the kids from our local junior club is indefensible, and "it's legal" is literally the best thing they can say about it.
Chris you are talking rubbish. Point me to where it states UKIP policy to deport 50% of the kids in the UK. Our policy as expressed succinctly and accurately in our local election manifesto is
UKIP manifesto wrote: Immigration – An end to the age of mass uncontrolled immigration, and its replacement with a controlled and limited immigration system.
No deportation of legal immigrants.

Getting back to chess. As President of Bolton Chess Club I help to organise Bolton Junior Chess Club. We have about 30 juniors. Half of whom are non-white and of the White ones a fair proportion are of European as against UK origin. Not bad for a Kipper. Perhaps in turn you could tell us what chess you organise.
No taxation without representation

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun May 06, 2018 11:31 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 am
Yes let us bring this one back on topic please the politics nonsense is unwelcome.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 pm

I could point to any number of places where UKIP's representatives have said such things, but I shan't, because Carl has requested an end to the politics nonsense.

Sticking to the topic of chess though, I know I'm not the only one who thinks the superhero culture is bad for English chess. "I organise more chess than you so shut up!" I took a break from organising to get married and buy a house (I'm still on the county committee), but I ran the county league and website for 5 years, the summer cup for 3, the Megafinal for 3 (unpaid), started a new chess club from scratch, was secretary of a second, and took over the running of a third when it looked unlikely to complete its fixture list (it's now thriving with 3 teams). I don't like citing that record to demonstrate my value as a person, that's all.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 07, 2018 7:55 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 pm
I don't like citing that record to demonstrate my value as a person, that's all.
Then don't do it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 am

In the early hours of this morning I watched the film Rustom (2016)

There is a scene where the Naval Officer plays the Senior Inspector at chess.

The game is an unsound variation of Legal's Mate.

A very good film.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon May 07, 2018 12:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:55 am
Chris Goodall wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:07 pm
I don't like citing that record to demonstrate my value as a person, that's all.
Then don't do it.
harrylamb wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:12 am
Perhaps in turn you could tell us what chess you organise.
Pay attention, Nick. Or alternatively, grow up and tell me what your actual problem is with me instead of this knee-jerk sniping about everything I say.