Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Spanton
Posts: 727
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:09 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:53 am
Letter in the London Review of Books:
Caroline Campbell’s piece about Sofonisba Anguissola is illustrated by her painting The Chess Game..... Properly set, the lower right-hand squares of a chessboard should be white. In the painting they are black. Perhaps the board was rotated by ninety degrees, which seems odd; or there wasn’t an actual game in play. Or could chessboards be configured as shown in the painting in the 16th century?
According to Wikipedia, citing various sources, the 'bottom right is always white' convention is pretty old:

The Libro de los juegos (1283) contains a description of the chessboard, mentioning eight rows and columns as the ideal number, with the 10×10 board being too tiresome and the 6×6 board being too quick for the practice of chess.[8] Other innovations of the time were cylindrical boards for the practice of variants such as cylinder chess[9] and the convention that the first square of the far right column should be light-coloured, endorsed by Pedro Damiano in the end of the 15th century.[10]

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 3934
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:41 am

"endorsed by Pedro Damiano in the end of the 15th century."

a better idea than his defence!

Tim Spanton
Posts: 727
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:41 am
"endorsed by Pedro Damiano in the end of the 15th century."

a better idea than his defence!
Are you sure? Fischer once lost against the Damiano.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 727
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:45 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:41 am
"endorsed by Pedro Damiano in the end of the 15th century."

a better idea than his defence!
Are you sure? Fischer once lost against the Damiano.
Whoops - I tell a lie: he drew

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4186
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:32 pm

The convention of white square on right is of relatively recent origin, as is that White moves first.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:09 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:53 am
Letter in the London Review of Books:
Caroline Campbell’s piece about Sofonisba Anguissola is illustrated by her painting The Chess Game..... Properly set, the lower right-hand squares of a chessboard should be white. In the painting they are black. Perhaps the board was rotated by ninety degrees, which seems odd; or there wasn’t an actual game in play. Or could chessboards be configured as shown in the painting in the 16th century?
According to Wikipedia, citing various sources, the 'bottom right is always white' convention is pretty old:

The Libro de los juegos (1283) contains a description of the chessboard, mentioning eight rows and columns as the ideal number, with the 10×10 board being too tiresome and the 6×6 board being too quick for the practice of chess.[8] Other innovations of the time were cylindrical boards for the practice of variants such as cylinder chess[9] and the convention that the first square of the far right column should be light-coloured, endorsed by Pedro Damiano in the end of the 15th century.[10]
Well yes, but saying that Damiano endorsed that convention doesn't tell us when it was generally adopted. Nor is there is anything else in the Hooper and Whyld entry referred to which casts any light on this, unless the 1992 edition cited has more to say than my 1984 version.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3420
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:45 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:41 am
"endorsed by Pedro Damiano in the end of the 15th century."

a better idea than his defence!
Are you sure? Fischer once lost against the Damiano.
Whoops - I tell a lie: he drew
In a simul, just for the record.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:31 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4186
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Chess master Igor Kremeta from Ukraine had commited a brutal murder.

https://sahmatlista.wordpress.com/2020/ ... bRB8Dz5oHQ

Sent to me by Bogdan Lalic.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2585
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm

65 photographs of Hampshire chess. There are some well known faces amongst them, but most are unknown to me.

Some photographs are from the 1996 Hampshire Championship congress and some of the pictures of children are probably of King Edward VI School, Southampton players from the same period.

Joseph Conlon
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm

Some of the earlier photos are marked 2000 but look more like 1970/1980 - I'm very sure tournaments did not look like that in 2000!

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 3934
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:50 pm

I think I spotted Tony Corkett, Mike Henbury and Jeremy Fraser-Mitchell in there.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2585
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm
65 photographs of Hampshire chess
Those I can identify are:

21. 23. Jeremy Fraser Mitchell
24. Jeremy Fraser Mitchell and Bob Noyce
25. Tony Corkett
31. 32. 33. Richard Webb

Paul Habershon
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:35 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm
65 photographs of Hampshire chess. There are some well known faces amongst them, but most are unknown to me.

Some photographs are from the 1996 Hampshire Championship congress and some of the pictures of children are probably of King Edward VI School, Southampton players from the same period.
Interesting to see these pictures Can anyone name the simul giver and date it?

Can't remember many photos being taken when I played in Hampshire (1965-69 teacher training, Winchester). H L Parsons was county captain and would send out invitations by postcard (50-board SCCU matches) at the beginning of the season asking about availability for every match. I had never played county chess, started on Board 47, lost my first three games and felt certain I would be dropped.

Among the younger luminaries in the Hampshire team of that period: S Saverymuttu, GH Bennett, RWL Moberley. It was all initials in those days.

User avatar
John Clarke
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by John Clarke » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:06 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm
65 photographs of Hampshire chess. There are some well known faces amongst them, but most are unknown to me.

Some photographs are from the 1996 Hampshire Championship congress and some of the pictures of children are probably of King Edward VI School, Southampton players from the same period.
Can't see 'em at all. That stupid Privacy Manager keeps plastering itself all over everything, and there seems no way to get rid of it apart from giving it all the keys to the kingdom. No way.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Post Reply