Page 1 of 3

Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:25 pm
by E Michael White
Here’s a puzzle for uni students, arbiters and others with time on their hands at this time of the year. No prizes.

Construct a position with the maximum number of different pawn moves, which checkmate imediately. For this purpose promoting the same pawn to the same square, to 2 different pieces, counts as 2 different moves. Of course the position has to be legal in the sense that it could occur in a normal game of chess.

Eg. This position has 2 different mates in 1 by pawn moves :- a) b8=Q or b) b8=R


I’m not sure my solution is the highest but has 19 different mates in 1 by pawn moves.

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm
by Peter Sowray
22

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:51 pm
by Matthew Turner
Aargh - I was just feeling very pleased with myself for getting 20

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm
by Matthew Turner
I've looked at my position again and I've got 22 too.

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm
by E Michael White
I have 22 now too.

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm
by Peter Sowray
23

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 pm
by Peter Sowray
26

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 pm
by E Michael White
Nice one Peter. I thought I had 24 to begin with but discovered the position wasn't legal. I shall have to see if i can make it work. It will be interesting to see if there are common elements to these solutions when we have decided what the best one finally is.

Oh I see you have just made 26 now.

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 pm
by Peter Sowray
Michael,

It's a nice puzzle - thanks for posting.

Peter

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm
by Matthew Turner
I think I have 27 and I think it is legal

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm
by Clive Blackburn
I would love to see some of these solutions - the best I could manage was 17!

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 pm
by Matthew Turner
Here is my 22 for you


Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm
by E Michael White
This was my 22.


Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm
by Peter Sowray
Here's a 24 with only two white pawns and no promoted pieces - 2n1r1n1/1NRPkPRN/8/4K3/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

Re: Puzzle

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 pm
by Matthew Turner