Attention Congress Players

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Attention Congress Players

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
John Hickman wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Thus endeth John Hickman's run of special prizes at the Guernsey International Chess Festival
My comment was meant as a joke on the concept of plagarism by copying a comment that had already been made. I'm disappointed that it has been taken as a personal attack and/or caused offence, and I apologise for making it.

There is already too much animosity in the community and it is neither my intent or nature to add to it.

I'm looking forward to the Guernsey International Chess Festival, and there's still plenty of time for more of you to enter with an added incentive of an additional special prize now being available http://www.guernseychessclub.org.gg/fes ... stival.htm.
I thought your joke was very amusing John and I'm certain David was joking too.
Spot on, Chris.

John, I'm sorry that I've upset you. I too have no wish to cause animosity.

You have received a special prize at Guernsey four years in succession, with last year's being the special prize for not winning a special prize. I'm not really supposed to award them to the same people every year.

However, if you achieve something meritorious at this year's Festival, I assure you that you will be considered.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 pm

John Hickman wrote: I'm looking forward to the Guernsey International Chess Festival, and there's still plenty of time for more of you to enter with
I assume they came to some sort of agreement with the ECF on membership requirements, not that there's anything on the site other than a statement that both tournaments will be ECF graded.

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: However, if you achieve something meritorious at this year's Festival, I assure you that you will be considered.
My plan is to win the brillaincy prize beating Tiviakov

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:24 pm

John Hickman wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: However, if you achieve something meritorious at this year's Festival, I assure you that you will be considered.
My plan is to win the brillaincy prize beating Tiviakov
In that case it will be Tiviakov who wins the additional special prize.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 am

"I thought your joke was very amusing John and I'm certain David was joking too."

Exactly - it should be permitted to be humorous. John's reply might have been tongue in cheek too. Guernsey is a great event. The only downside is that when you lose to a local player, it's headline news in the paper.