Candidates on TV?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Candidates on TV?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Trefor Owens wrote:Well, tickets are now on sale: but adding up the price of a ticket, the train fare, some grub and an obligatory chess book purchase :) probably not much change from £100

I think I will watch either online or on Sky Arts unless my lottery numbers do me a favour . . . .
While Googling for a link to the official site, I found this:

http://worldchesschampionship.blogspot.co.uk/

Might be of interest to some. Includes a translation of an interview with Robert Fontaine (now with Agon).

Eventually found the site:

http://www.worldchess.com/candidates/tickets.html

Says:

Doors open: 12:30
Games start: 14:00

For a season pass (all 14 games) it is £200. Which is £14.30 per round. Though you may have to have lots of free time to go to all of them. Five of the rounds are at the weekend, but two are on bank holidays (Easter Friday and Easter Sunday). One rest day (Easter Saturday) falls on a weekend. Which leaves 7 on weekdays. So even if unable to get time off work, you could see half of them if your weekends are free and you aren't going to an Easter chess congress (living in or near London would probably help as well).

For tickets for a single day, it appears to be £25 for weekdays, and £30 for weekends, though they've left the prices at £25 for the Easter Friday and the last day (the Easter Monday) for some reason. Student tickets are £11.25 regardless of which day.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:56 pm

I've seen the Sky Arts 1 & Sky Arts 2 schedule up to 20 April (i.e. several weeks) and there's no mention of anything with 'chess' in it at all. Doesn't sound like there's gonna be anything televised for it, although I'll be happily proved wrong!

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Dave Ewart wrote:I've seen the Sky Arts 1 & Sky Arts 2 schedule up to 20 April (i.e. several weeks) and there's no mention of anything with 'chess' in it at all. Doesn't sound like there's gonna be anything televised for it, although I'll be happily proved wrong!
I was hopeful of some chess airtime too, but recent tweets from Malcolm Pein indicate there'll be no coverage of the Candidates on Sky Arts after all.

Pity, as it seemed an ideal place for niche broadcasting like this.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Tristan Clayton wrote:...

Pity, as it seemed an ideal place for niche broadcasting like this.

I would say the internet is the "ideal" place for "niche broadcasting - it's certainly more accessible there (here!) than a minor cable channel.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 pm

The problem is, the people who run our culture, do not want change. The way these people run our culture, is to control the media, they want a pastime that teaches people to think for themselves, like a hole in the head, hence no chess on the TV.

For a while I believed things were about to change and was looking forward to it, but no, the same old same old, the alcoholics are still running the brewery.

I dream of an economic system that is about resource management, no it seems I must dream on.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 pm

It's eonomics. I know of a poker series that was shown on Channel 5. The company paid Channel 5 £50,000 to show the programmes and presumably also paid the production costs. They presumably estimated that the revenue would exceed the costs.

BMW were prepared to pay for the World Blitz Chess Championship series. Channel 4 demanded a pilot be made, wouldn't pay towards it and wouldn't guarantee to show the pilot. The whole project fell through.

Chess programmes are unlikely to attract much advertising revenue for the broadcaster.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:19 am

Warming up to the Candidates looks like we've got an updated version of the Master Game in Tehran featuring Nigel Short! Here's the Press Release and link:

First Talking Chess match in Tehran

In an effort to turn chess into a spectator sport the Iranian Chess Federation (really!) is taking the initiative and staging an innovative match in which the players – former World Championship Challenger Nigel Short and GM Ehsan Ghaem Maghami, Iran’s strongest player – will explain their thought processes to the public.

How to make chess a spectator sport? Talking Chess is the new way to broadcast chess. Former World Championship Challenger GM Nigel Short is playing a Talking Chess match, organized by the Iranian Chess Federation, from 8-12 March 2013 in Tehran against GM Ehsan Ghaem Maghami, Iran’s strongest player. There will be four standard chess games, four rapid and eight blitz games.

Every six moves, players go to a secluded room and record their thoughts on videocam. The live broadcast of the moves will be highlighted by the recording of the players. It will be interesting to see how the players think. Both may think they are ahead in the position. Or both may think they are at a disadvantage.

Usually players give press conferences after the game and explain their analysis. In Talking Chess, players share their analysis while the game is going on! Neither player will be able to hear the other’s recording although spectators in the hall will have headphones and the live analysis will be broadcast on the Internet on the official Talkingchess site given below.
This format may be what chess needs to enter television. Mehrdad Pahlevanzadeh, originator of the Talking Chess Match, said that television companies in Iran have shown great interest in the format and will make it a TV show.

The idea is not completely new. A decade and a half ago, during the Intel Grand Prix tournaments, an idea was developed to have two top players – e.g. Kasparov and Anand – play against each other while explaining to a host what they were thinking. Naturally the two would be in separate locations and the moves communicated electronically. The plan was to have them located on the observation decks of (sigh) the two towers of the World Trade Center, in view of each other. Each would be sitting at a board, opposite a host, who would get the moves of the opponent by radio and execute them on the board. The host would also engage the player in conversation, asking what he thought of the move, the position, what plans he was mulling over, what his evaluation of the situation was. A light would signal when the other side was discussing, in order to avoid overlap. All this would be broadcast into a big hall filled with spectators who could follow it on large screens, and it would be recorded for broadcast on TV and for subsequent multimedia distribution.

Unfortunately the plan, which was developed by PCA board members the Intel management, and was given green light by the latter, never actually materialised. The BBC Master Game was a prior simulation of the concept, and the Tehran Talking Chess event is a contemporary first step in this direction. Perhaps it will catch on – the original concept is interesting enough to be revived and reconsidered.

http://en.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/ ... 90313.aspx

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Iran have had other initiatives, such as the match between Karpov and Ghaem. There, all games were played out until mate, or finally drawn conclusion.

1993 there was a game Kasparov and Short in consultation against the Commentary Team: Speelman, King, Forbes and the TV commentator. It was excellent and should be published. I have a copy.

I think a team of two is best. Ghaem and Short may have problems expressing their thoughts for an audience in a soliloquy.

Of course the Master Game comments weren't live, they were spoken into a tape recorder and edited.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:42 am

Nigel appears to be 3-1 up in this match although the web site is in Persian and the links don't seem to be user-friendly. I can see that there are supposed to be video links with the players thoughts after every six moves but can't seem to access them. Here's a link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.talkingchess.com/game?lang=en

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 am

Short-Ehsan games in pgn are are accessible from the TWIC site but that was hardly the point of the exercise was it?

http://www.theweekinchess.com/chessnews ... ghami-2013

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

If you click on the magnifying glass under the "Detail" column it takes you to the "comments by the players" page. Google asks me if i want to translate the page into english which it did nicely. If you have Adobe Flash Player you should be able to listen to them. I cannot verify this from work. Can anyone else?
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 am

Greg Breed wrote:If you click on the magnifying glass under the "Detail" column it takes you to the "comments by the players" page. Google asks me if i want to translate the page into english which it did nicely. If you have Adobe Flash Player you should be able to listen to them. I cannot verify this from work. Can anyone else?
Seems to work. I'm on a computer with no speakers at the moment, but the video plays fine.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views