It is with extreme sadness that I have to report that Bob Wade, International Master, Arbiter, Journalist, friend to chess and friend to me died this morning at 3am from pneumonia he had been in hospital for three days. A full obituary will follow
Robert Wade 1921-2008
-
Nick Thomas
- Posts: 456
- Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:56 pm
Robert Wade 1921-2008
This was posted on TWIC this morning.
-
Ian Kingston
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
- Location: Sutton Coldfield
- Contact:
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
Bob made a huge contribution to chess in this country. Player, organiser, arbiter, coach, librarian (a big thing in the pre-database days). Unique.
Ian Kingston
http://www.iankingston.com
http://www.iankingston.com
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
Yes, desperately sad. I have posted a short obit on the BCM website (http://www.bcmchess.co.uk) plus an interview I did with him in 1999. Of all the things I have done as BCM editor, interviewing Bob was the most pleasurable. A bit like when a chat show host used to get to interview a great raconteur like Peter Ustinov or David Niven - you only have to warm them up a little and off they go. Bob was like that. I do hope that people will read the interview as, despite being conducted nine years ago, it contains a lot that is relevant to various debates about British chess now.
I shall miss Bob terribly as I'm sure many others will. I shall especially miss him phoning me up to nag me about why I hadn't updated the Ceefax pages recently, or why I made some error in the BCM. It was rather like being told off by your favourite teacher. He did it because he cared deeply about chess - besides which, he could never keep it up for long and the conversation would always end in amiability and laughter. I can't write any more now as I'm starting to fill up...
I shall miss Bob terribly as I'm sure many others will. I shall especially miss him phoning me up to nag me about why I hadn't updated the Ceefax pages recently, or why I made some error in the BCM. It was rather like being told off by your favourite teacher. He did it because he cared deeply about chess - besides which, he could never keep it up for long and the conversation would always end in amiability and laughter. I can't write any more now as I'm starting to fill up...
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- Ben Purton
- Posts: 1634
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
- Location: Berks
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
This is really really sad news. A Chess stalwart even to the youth. Condolances to Family and friends.
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6662
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
Very sad news - I first met him over 40 years ago, and after that he always came up for a cheery greeting and a few words, and sometimes to ask if I played the same bad openings of 15 years before (of course I had new ones) ...... He did a tremendous amount for chess and he could play a bit - beating Korchnoi and drawing with Fischer is something most players would be proud of.
Kevin
Kevin
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
Just received the following from Jon Speelman...
Bob Wade's Funeral
---------------------------
The funeral will be on Tuesday December 16th at 10.15am at
Eltham Crematorium,
Crown Woods Way,
Eltham
London SE9 2AZ
It will be followed by a reception to be announced and in due course there will be a Memorial Service in central London.
All will be most welcome at all of these.
No flowers please.
Donations to the Bob Wade Memorial Fund care of the Executors of Robert Wade.
The full details will be announced in the next few days (hopefully during the week starting December 8th).
Bob Wade's Funeral
---------------------------
The funeral will be on Tuesday December 16th at 10.15am at
Eltham Crematorium,
Crown Woods Way,
Eltham
London SE9 2AZ
It will be followed by a reception to be announced and in due course there will be a Memorial Service in central London.
All will be most welcome at all of these.
No flowers please.
Donations to the Bob Wade Memorial Fund care of the Executors of Robert Wade.
The full details will be announced in the next few days (hopefully during the week starting December 8th).
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
Bob Wade's funeral took place today (16 December) in Eltham. There was a very large turnout. Sad though the occasion was, it was heart-warming to see how many people paid their respects by attending his funeral.
I have blogged a summary of the funeral, which included some witty comments from the speakers, and there is a link to a page of photos.
http://bcmchess.blogspot.com/2008/12/bo ... -2008.html
Feel free to append your own tributes to Bob on the blog.
I have blogged a summary of the funeral, which included some witty comments from the speakers, and there is a link to a page of photos.
http://bcmchess.blogspot.com/2008/12/bo ... -2008.html
Feel free to append your own tributes to Bob on the blog.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- Ben Purton
- Posts: 1634
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
- Location: Berks
Re: Robert Wade 1921-2008
Nice Pictures on facebook John... Everyone seems 'happy' so good celebration of life which is what a funeral should be.
Ben
Ben
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks