WHO'S GOING TO TORQUAY?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Gilbert

Re: WHO'S GOING TO TORQUAY?

Post by David Gilbert » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

And there's already eight runners for the All-Play-All Simul handicap. Just one birth remaining. If you own a pair of plimsols contact Lara for that last place.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 pm

David Gilbert wrote:Just one birth remaining.
Call the Midwife! :wink:

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue May 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Richard James wrote:
David Gilbert wrote:Just one birth remaining.
Call the Midwife! :wink:
That's it then. Rob Thompson is delivered.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 pm

The space may be big enough for 11. Is there a world record.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:The space may be big enough for 11. Is there a world record.
The event is now full - details of the nine chess-athletes here. http://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk

If it works this year (even 9 players is experimental) maybe we can be more ambitious next year and try for 15 players and 105 boards maybe with Fischer timings! Or really go for it with 25 players, which would require 300 boards, I’d settle for that as a world record attempt!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 pm

But the point is that we need eye catching events for the media for the 100th British. But it is Davids baby.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am

Last edited by Andrew Camp on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
northwaleschess@aol.com

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:11 am

My penfriend is unable to get time off from work, so despite the fact that my normal travelling buddy had committed to going a few months ago, and backed out completely since, I will now come :) Just got to decide whether to add to my punishment load this year by adding the first rapid to my schedule and/or whether to play in a weekender. Will even be there for the simul this year :D

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am

Dan O'Dowd wrote:My penfriend is unable to get time off from work, so despite the fact that my normal travelling buddy had committed to going a few months ago, and backed out completely since, I will now come :) Just got to decide whether to add to my punishment load this year by adding the first rapid to my schedule and/or whether to play in a weekender. Will even be there for the simul this year :D
Good to hear you’ll be in Torquay, Dan. Although I can’t think why anyone would want to be anywhere else! Numbers are rising steeply - 296 entries on the list so far. That’s already well ahead of the 185 entries on 13 June 2012 for North Shields. All Kostenites will be euphoric at yesterday’s news that Tony Kosten has entered (his name doesn’t appear on the main list yet). That makes eight GMs so far and some interesting IMs too.

What a fantastic field for the British Seniors. Numbers have already reached 40 and could well beat the highest figure of 45 achieved at Sheffield two years ago. But where have all the under-8s and under-13s gone? Not a single entry to date! I’ve bumped into quite a few people recently who have told me they have sorted out their accommodation but hadn’t got round to actually entering. I reckon the final total could easily exceed the one thousand mark for the first time since 2003 when the championships were held in Edinburgh. My sweepstake guess is 1101.

Later: Numbers now up to 308 entries, including 41 in the Seniors. Marvellous!
Last edited by David Gilbert on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Ariss

Post by John Ariss » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Stuart
Talking about eye-catching events.
You were probably informed when you visited that the 'big wheel' had gone ,as the suggestion apparently was to play chess on this attraction - well it is now back and operating , just in case you were interested.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Dear John,
Thank you about The Big Wheel. I had already been alerted to its reappearance. There will be a free event for chessplayers one afternoon. The actual date is in discussion with Kevin Staveley. The other event to be decided is when to hold a Treasure Hunt.

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Does anyone know when the list of entrants will be updated?

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Looks like it's been updated now :)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:13 pm

And good to see David Howell's name added today. That's a respectable nine GMs. There were twelve GMs in Sheffield two years ago and ten when we were last in Torquay. Can we expect more this year? Anyone with insider information? There’s already an amazing 49 entries for the seniors. The popularity of that event continues to rise. if they all show up and play, that’s already four more than the highest recorded. What’s more there's another 21 seniors booked to play in their own under-130 and under-150 events.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Glenn Flear assured me some months ago he intended to play.
There were 15 GMs in Hove in 1997, all of them ENG except for Gallagher SUI. That was the first year Smith & Williamson sponsored the event and was the strongest ever - so far.
The Seniors got down to 6 players at one time. The growth is amazing. It is partly to do with the European Senior Team Championship where we have 15 players in 3 teams next month. The Seniors and the children tend to enter earlier.

It is a considerable amount of work for Roger Edwards to process each entry, send them to Andrew Walker and he to put them on the website.
I don't know the current numbers. But experience shows:
Take the numbers a week before the penalty fee date which is 8 July (i.e. Monday 1st). Many people enter over the weekend.
Add 50% in the next week to 8 July
Add a further 10% before the event starts.
Add another 10% during the event. The final total won't be known until Monday afternoon 5 August.

Of course this year there are also more special events going on than ever before, but they have never been counted in.