A Midlands Mind Games Possibility ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Smith

A Midlands Mind Games Possibility ?

Post by Simon Smith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 am

OK folks I'd like to see if there is any interest in a small "Mind Games Congress" in the Midlands.

My intention is that it would include Chess (of course), Draughts and Go. (Other boardgames come into consideration such as Scrabble and Backgammon....)

Please feel free to add something to what I hope could be an interesting thread.....

IM Jack Rudd

Re: A Midlands Mind Games Possibility ?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 am

Sounds like an interesting idea. Would you be setting it up like a chess congress (where people play specific games at a specific time), or a board game convention (where people bring along games and play them as and when)?

Simon Smith

Post by Simon Smith » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the interest. I conceive it as everyone playing the same game at the same time. As I say is see it as a small venture to begin with. No prize money for the first one - small charge for venue, my chess club which is a very good one - and would be happy if there was only four of us !

I don't have a specific blueprint for this and hope for as much interest as possible.

Some other thoughts. PERHAPS the GO could be played on one of the reduced sized boards. PERHAPS the draughts could be (GAYP [yes I know :-) ] - Go As You Please, rather than the usual three move ballot. The chess time limit as indeed the other games chosen to accommodate Saturday/Sunday am/pm playing sessions and the format been driven (initially) by numbers involved and player preference. I would see my self as chairing rather than leading this.

This might go down like the Titanic but as I said I thought I'd float the idea :-)

(I had another idea perhaps for another time. Texas Hold Em. Where you play for "time" rather than money and in subsequent games you use your "time" won/(lost) to offset your initial time limits in the board games)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Simon Smith wrote:Thanks for the interest. I conceive it as everyone playing the same game at the same time. As I say is see it as a small venture to begin with. No prize money for the first one - small charge for venue, my chess club which is a very good one - and would be happy if there was only four of us !
It's actually more efficient in terms of equipment if, say, at any given time, a quarter of your field is playing chess, a quarter playing go, a quarter playing draughts and a quarter playing backgammon (or whatever your mix of games is).

AndrewRussell

Post by AndrewRussell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Hey sorry it's taken me so long to reply (busy at work) yeah, the Birmingham Go club would love to get involved in this. If you need any help with organisation just let me know.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Do you know Tony Boyle and his Board club in Bromsgrove? He's done things like this. If you'd like to contact him pm me and I'll get hold of his number for you.