Reinventing the wheel

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Reinventing the wheel

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 am

The ChessBase site has a feature about chesscasting at http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211 ... 40313.aspx

One particular quote struck me
An American software developer and chess enthusiast, just off a flight from JFK, understood the potential: “I assume that soon I’ll be able to record my own games with my friends, add my own commentary and when I slaughter my friend in a particularly cruel fashion, I’ll be able to post my ChessCast to Facebook. These guys understand the social potential of chess; the sooner the better.”
Setting aside the comment about Facebook, the earliest versions of ChessBase enabled you to record your own games and add commentary. This was over twenty five years ago. One of the features of even the earliest versions was graphics of the same quality as book diagrams. It could be argued that the graphics in chesscasting look like something that could have been displayed by a Sinclair Spectrum or similar computer of the 8 bit era.

So chesscasting isn't anything new and a step backwards in some respects, just different marketing of the mixture.