I am a complete idiot!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Re: I am a complete idiot!

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi Chris

I have 100’s…1,000’s….of examples of where a player plays the ‘winning move’
only to resign a few moves later.

I could fill up a book with all these positions but it would be for entertainment value only.
Nobody would learn nothing from it.
Even if they played out every example there will come a day when they do it themselves.
Doing it in a actual game is the only way to learn.

“Nobody would learn nothing from it.”

This may not be true.
I’m going through Soltis’s book ‘Studying Chess Made Easy.’
(Some like titles with the word ‘Opening’ in it…I like seeing the word ‘Easy.’)
He reckons a lot of our learning about the game is subliminal.
We pick up things without knowing it. (anybody think they have examples from their own games.)
Subliminally I’ve picked up every bad habit on the chessboard. :(

Now where was I…Oh yes….
This clocking up of 1-0 in the mind is fatal.
We are at out most vulnerable when playing the winning move.
This is an example from actual play between two under 1600’s.

Black to play.

Black who played a well thought out combo to get here now realised his dream
and played 1…e8=Q and was mated after Rh2.

He should have slipped in 1…Rd5+ 2.Ke4 e8=Q+ 3.Kxd5 Qe6+ picks up the loose Rook.

Looking at the diagram you can see he missed the Rook going to h2 because before
he played 1…e8=Q (which BTW threatens mate in one) the Rook could not go to h2.

G. Chandler - G. Dickinson Glasgow Allegro, 1985

“This clocking up of 1-0 in the mind is fatal.”
So apparently is clocking up ½-½ in your mind.

My latest blog:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread ... postid=133

Features players who have taken a perpetual instead of giving checkmate.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:37 pm

“When you see a good move, look for a better one”

(Emanuel Lasker)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm not sure about that.

How about....

When you see a move look around for a bad move and then play the original move
fully confident in the knowledge you have not made the worst move on the board.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Rd 4 Dubai open 2013 starts at 5.30pm - so a couple of days ago I'm telling John Bennett who is also playing in the tournament that the default time is an hour (6.30pm). What time do you leave to get there then? he asks. About 5.10pm I respond, it only takes me 20 minutes generally although sometimes I'm a few minutes late. He asks if that's leaving it a bit late? I basically tell him to stop being such a girl and he says he will leave about that time as well. So what happens? A 17km tailback on the Ittihad Road. However, despite all the obstacles put in front of me I drive on and get there at 6.26pm! Hurrah! .....only to find the default time was 6pm (sod it). I took the time to look if John had made it to the venue....oh dear, no John. He is not going to be a happy bunny tomorrow.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Five people lost by default in rd 4 caused by the traffic. That's just unlucky I guess. What I was slightly annoyed about was the half an hour default time. I had thought the standard time for getting defaulted in an international tournament was an hour. The only reason for half an hour would be in case there were re-pairings, which there weren't, so why not make it an hour?

Think it would be a good idea to have the zero tolerance rule as standard at every tournament so at least you know where you stand!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Chris Rice wrote: I had thought the standard time for getting defaulted in an international tournament was an hour.
The standard time for default in FIDE rated events is zero minutes. By virtue of getting the decision taken away from the FIDE General Assembly who wanted to support Kirsan in requiring zero, it was possible to get a form of words that enabled an event not run by or for FIDE to have a default time specified by the local organiser.

In England, the ECF left it to the Chess Arbiters Association who specified half an hour. Leagues and Congresses were free to overrule this, for example leagues with a nominal start time of 7.30 pm could set the default time at 8.30 pm, whilst the 4NCL stuck to the traditional hour. Many Congresses use half an hour so as to coincide with their re-pairing trigger point. You might still get a half point bye if you show up within the hour.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 am

I didn't know all this. Thanks very much for the explanation, much appreciated.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

Oh dear oh dear, top marks for style, but unfortunately the execution was wrong.

This is not the first time I have see that particular blunder - some years back when playing in the coventry league there was an incident where a player did exactly the same thing, thinking it was a smothered mate..... the story gets interesting as he said something along the lines of "you will love this" before playing the queen check, upon which his opponent took one look at the position and resigned, assuming the mate was inevitable. When it was then discovered that the move was in fact a blunder it led to great eruptions, by all accounts.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi Joey.

We have done these things.
In a League match I got up from the board to stretch my legs,
saw Chris Donkin who said he was struggling in his game,
I confidently replied I had a mate in 4. Two moves later I resigned.

Samuel Loyd announced a mate in 8 featuring a Philidor's Legacy/Anastasia's mate.
His opponent resigned.

Celso Golmayo Zupide vs Sam Loyd, Paris 1867

Spot the slight flaw in this.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:03 pm

6.Ka2 seems to mess things up.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Indeed 6.Ka2 seems to be a problem.

Sympathies to my former Dubai colleagues ... traffic returnign to 2007 levels again?

Paul

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Oh dear oh dear, top marks for style, but unfortunately the execution was wrong.
I have wondered why I played this move since I have managed smothered mates perfectly in computer simulations! This was the first time I had seen the chance for it in a game.

The situation was a little bit different to the computer simulations I had done! I think its because the rook is placed on f1 that I managed to play the move Qg1+??

I was about to play Nf2+ when I realised the smothered mate wasn't possible, because of Rxf2. In all the computer simulations I had done, there wasn't anything defending f2.

As such I played the move without thinking, it was almost an instinct to a situation I had seen on the computer, but that this time was slightly different.

Was there anything to take from the game for me, yes I believe 2 things: 1) I played quite well before the blunder and 2) someone said the next time something clicks in your brain saying: "smothered mate," your think back to that exact situation in that match.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:38 pm

David Blower wrote:1) I played quite well before the blunder
I have a teammate who regularly seems to play very well right up until the point at which he blunders and loses the game. However, he said to me after one of these games this season that he feels that the point at which he blunders is getting later and later in the game, and if he can only succeed in postponing them until after the opponent has resigned then he will be a much better player! :D

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm

"When you see a move look around for a bad move and then play the original move
fully confident in the knowledge you have not made the worst move on the board."

Although of course very much tongue in cheek if David had looked for a worse move
than his 19...Qg1+ he may have discovered his candidate move of 19...Qg1+ was
infact the worst move on the board.

I think we have just discovered the secret of Chess.
Don't look for good moves, look for bad moves and don't play them!

Loyd's announced mate.
I wonder if announcing a mate, which was very common in the old days,
you were then committed to that course of play.
A kind of touch move through speech.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote: Although of course very much tongue in cheek if David had looked for a worse move
than his 19...Qg1+ he may have discovered his candidate move of 19...Qg1+ was
infact the worst move on the board.
Close, but no cigar. I think 19...Qd2 is worse.