Attitudes to chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Attitudes to chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 am

I made the following comment and it was suggested I put it here:-

"I really enjoyed an ex-boss criticising me for playing chess, and he said, "I don't understand why you play chess." I replied, "I know you play bridge and bowls and sometimes golf. I assume you like the games and enjoy them. Wouldn't you think it a bit weird if I said I didn't understand why you played them?" He grunted and stomped off. I think a lot of it is fear - they think that chess players are more intelligent (which is arguable) and dangerous in some way (which is true in some cases)."

TomChivers

Re: Attitudes to chess

Post by TomChivers » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 am

I work in a Philosophy Department, and I have to say, most people are pretty interested in chess in one way or another. Several play, some quite seriously; there's an occasional visiting academic who is an IM, one of the PhD students went to chess school in the old Soviet Union, and the students organize a weekly chess session in a pub!

TomChivers

Post by TomChivers » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: "I really enjoyed an ex-boss criticising me for playing chess, and he said, "I don't understand why you play chess." I replied..."
I've been thinking this over. How about this as a reply: "Quite right. Intellectual contest is not for everyone."

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:01 pm

"Kevin Thurlow wrote:
"I really enjoyed an ex-boss criticising me for playing chess, and he said, "I don't understand why you play chess." I replied..."

I've been thinking this over. How about this as a reply: "Quite right. Intellectual contest is not for everyone." "

With somebody else, I tried,

"The worm does not understand that the eagle wants to fly."

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 pm

"The worm does not understand that the...."

What is happening down there with you lot.

Tortoise, Slugs and now Worms.