London Chess Classic 2013

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ray Sayers

Re: London Chess Classic 2013

Post by Ray Sayers » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm a little puzzled.

In the 1/4 finals the time limit was 25 mins + 10 secs.

In the Semi finals the pairing page says 10 mins + 10 secs.

Is this just a typo?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 am

I could have sworn the increment was adding 20 seconds per move when I bothered to pay close attention to that in one of the blitz tie-break games, but maybe the display was wrong or something. I saw all the evening games, which were good. The blitz games in particular. The tension was palpable. Am still trying to work out why Anand resigned his final position against Kramnik. I understood why 1...Qh4 couldn't be met by 2.g3, but was puzzling over how Kramnik wins after 2.h3. Maybe there is some analysis somewhere already (no time to put diagrams up, Geoff, sorry!).

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 am

I really hope kramnik does not win this event - his vampiric, lifeless style of play is extremely grating to bear witness to. Hopefully nakamura will surprise him with something a little unusual and keep him off his usual grinding positions.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:42 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I could have sworn the increment was adding 20 seconds per move when I bothered to pay close attention to that in one of the blitz tie-break games, but maybe the display was wrong or something.
So it was you who panicked Malcolm Pein into thinking I'd set the clock wrongly :!:

The display on the screen is typically a few seconds out while a player is thinking, but then autocorrects when a move is made. This can give the impression that the increment is something other than the actual amount.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:44 am

Ray Sayers wrote:I'm a little puzzled.

In the 1/4 finals the time limit was 25 mins + 10 secs.

In the Semi finals the pairing page says 10 mins + 10 secs.

Is this just a typo?
Yes.

At the time of my making this post, the front page of the website is wrong. I'm hoping it will be corrected in the morning.

Edit: The correction has been made.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 am

Look at the quarter final games--the quality of the games is almost amateurish. Where is super-GM chess going? I wonder what's behind this. Of course, it's rapid chess, but I find this disappointing, anyway.
http://en.chessbase.com/post/london-sup ... emis-ready

M. Winther

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:31 am

@ Chrispoher

If g3, then Bxg2; Kxg2 Qg3+ is doing the business.

Paul

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 am

Paul Dargan wrote:If g3, then Bxg2; Kxg2 Qg3+ is doing the business.
Thanks. It is amazing how easy it is to miss something like that if you are looking at something else. I saw how the rook played its part in the line: 1...Qh4 2.g3 Bxg3 3.fxg3 4.Qxh2# (if 3.hxg3 4.Qh1#). But for some reason I was only looking at 1...Qh4 2.h3 Qg3 3.fxg3 Rxg2+ and trying to find a mate there. I did look at 1...Qh4 2.h3 Bxg2 Kxg2, but I was missing the obvious... :oops:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:35 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I could have sworn the increment was adding 20 seconds per move when I bothered to pay close attention to that in one of the blitz tie-break games, but maybe the display was wrong or something.
So it was you who panicked Malcolm Pein into thinking I'd set the clock wrongly :!:
Telepathy! :wink: I did notice Malcolm coming onto the stage for a conflab with you, but I was safely sitting in the audience. Wouldn't have missed a minute of it. The standard was somewhat higher than the charity blitz sessions taking place in the foyer. :D
David Sedgwick wrote:The display on the screen is typically a few seconds out while a player is thinking, but then autocorrects when a move is made. This can give the impression that the increment is something other than the actual amount.
That makes sense. I would suggest (as others have) that the clock be visible in the video feed, but that might end up with the arbiters or the cameras having to move, so I doubt anything will happen at this stage. I'd be more interested in the reason for the lag in the display time. Is this built in to the system, or something else?

Here's hoping Adams gets through to the final. I hope to be there, though I have to be elsewhere during the semis.

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Mats Winther wrote:Look at the quarter final games--the quality of the games is almost amateurish. Where is super-GM chess going? I wonder what's behind this. Of course, it's rapid chess, but I find this disappointing, anyway.
http://en.chessbase.com/post/london-sup ... emis-ready

M. Winther
The chess master of old would never play like this. Would Petrosian or Smyslov, in practice, lose in the beginning of the game, or make obvious blunders? It hardly ever happened, not even in blitz. There is something amiss with today's super-GMs. It's no wonder why Carlsen can just sit and wait for blunders.

M.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Mats Winther wrote: The chess master of old would never play like this. Would Petrosian or Smyslov, in practice, lose in the beginning of the game, or make obvious blunders?
Perhaps modern GMs take rather more risks. Petrosian was capable of losing quickly with risky openings.

From the 1969 match

Historic annotations tend to condemn his opening play as incorrect. However the opinion of the chess engines is that he was OK, if a little worse, until a losing blunder of 19. .. Qd8.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:I really hope kramnik does not win this event - his vampiric, lifeless style of play is extremely grating to bear witness to. Hopefully nakamura will surprise him with something a little unusual and keep him off his usual grinding positions.
Have you seen many of his games since he lost the world title?? :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Joey Stewart wrote:I really hope kramnik does not win this event - his vampiric, lifeless style of play is extremely grating to bear witness to. Hopefully nakamura will surprise him with something a little unusual and keep him off his usual grinding positions.
Have you seen many of his games since he lost the world title?? :?:
Obviously not.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Look at the games he has played in this competition - they all feature the sort of moves you see from somebody who has spent far too much time practising with computers, boring positional grinding play with no attempt to stir up any tactics.

And after all was said and done - my prediction of Nakamura turned out right.

Feel free to prostrate yourselves at my feet!
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Crushing Anand with Black in under 30 moves?? Yeah, whatever :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)