London Chess Classic 2013

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: London Chess Classic 2013

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:If there were enough arbiters available, I would love to see a massive super-GM level blitz tournament in London one day!
I suspect that it is the availability of money, rather than arbiters, that is the inhibitor to this.

Thomas Rendle

Re: London Chess Classic 2013

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Mats Winther wrote: Then it's time to discontinue these type of tournaments, since the quality is so low. I want to see good chess.
M. Winther
I'm actually unsure what the problem is here. Most top level tournaments use a slowplay time control and spectators are spoilt for choice for fantastic chess to watch. Of course in rapid events there are more mistakes but one thing that Mats seems to be ignoring is that players only make mistakes when under pressure - a good example of this is the Nakamura-Kramnik game where only White's tough/creative defence in a losing position kept him in the game. If you don't want to watch rapid chess then you don't have to! Personally I enjoyed watching the event immensely and look forward to more top level events like this in the future :D