London Chess Classic 2013

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: London Chess Classic 2013

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 am

MJMcCready wrote: I noticed that in previous years the English players created their own tournament, playing their best games against each other almost, with most of them at the bottom of the table. It would be nice to see less of this and more combative play against their superior foreign opponents.
The format for the rapid-play is four groups of four, playing a double round all play all. This is followed by a knock out for the top two qualifiers of each group. The method for selecting the groups has yet to be announced, in particular whether it will be a maximum of two home players in each group. With the two qualifiers from round 4 of the FIDE rated Open added to the field, there could, on paper, be eight home players.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:42 pm

According to Chessbase News it's -
the chance of a lifetime.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:46 pm

John McKenna wrote:According to Chessbase News it's -
the chance of a lifetime.
With the tie break being the highest rating, the likely contenders would be the top seeds. If they use acceleration for the pairings, it might be possible for someone from much lower down the rankings to get lucky in the first four rounds.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:15 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I've now looked at the schedule of side-events online, which lists different events from the one you posted above, but Sean seems to have subsequently explained the reason for that.
The rapidplay events are being played on a very tight schedule, the likely consequence of which is that zero default times will be in effect for some rounds.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I've now looked at the schedule of side-events online, which lists different events from the one you posted above, but Sean seems to have subsequently explained the reason for that.
The rapidplay events are being played on a very tight schedule, the likely consequence of which is that zero default times will be in effect for some rounds.
I don't understand the logic of this conclusion but I can confirm that there is no zero default time. Default and repairing details are articulated in the entry form.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: Default and repairing details are articulated in the entry form.
In the knock out event, on past form, Malcolm will spend a few minutes before each round introducing the players and asking them to make an entrance. The actual start time being a moveable feast.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote:
I don't understand the logic of this conclusion but I can confirm that there is no zero default time. Default and repairing details are articulated in the entry form.
The entry form for all three rapidplays states "Default time: 10 minutes after the scheduled start time." With one exception, the scheduled starting time of all rounds is 75 minutes after the scheduled starting time of the previous round. I don't think 75 minute intervals between rounds is sufficient time for games played at 20 minutes + 10 second increments, so actual starting times will slip. Once the slippage reaches 10 minutes, the default rules mean that a player not present when the round is started is instantly defaulted.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote: The rapidplay events are being played on a very tight schedule, the likely consequence of which is that zero default times will be in effect for some rounds.
The entry form for all three rapidplays states "Default time: 10 minutes after the scheduled start time." With one exception, the scheduled starting time of all rounds is 75 minutes after the scheduled starting time of the previous round. I don't think 75 minute intervals between rounds is sufficient time for games played at 20 minutes + 10 second increments, so actual starting times will slip. Once the slippage reaches 10 minutes, the default rules mean that a player not present when the round is started is instantly defaulted.
It's the same schedule as last year. Perhaps you haven't considered the fact that, if we have a long game in a previous round, I have the option of changing the scheduled start time for subsequent rounds. :oops:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The method for selecting the groups has yet to be announced, in particular whether it will be a maximum of two home players in each group.
The details have not been finalised, but my expectation is that that will be the case.

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Nine Grandmasters and five International Masters have already entered the FIDE Open, including the following five super-GMs:

Matuesz Bartel: 2635
Sabino Brunello: 2617
Viorel Iordachescu: 2609
Robin Van Kampen: 2606
Jon Ludvig Hammer: 2605

You can book your place at our Festival events via our website: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festi ... m#fideopen. Entry forms will be available at all UK tournaments from the beginning of October.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Matthew Lunn wrote:Nine Grandmasters and five International Masters have already entered the FIDE Open, including the following five super-GMs:

Trivia question for everyone - which one of these players was described as a "chess smurf" by the organiser of tournament he was playing in?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:57 pm

[quote="Matthew Lunn"]Nine Grandmasters and five International Masters have already entered the FIDE Open, including the following five super-GMs:

Super-GMs? Really? Thought that applied to 2700+ players these days due to rating inflation http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general ... ter?page=1

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Matthew Lunn wrote:Nine Grandmasters and five International Masters have already entered the FIDE Open, including the following five super-GMs:

Trivia question for everyone - which one of these players was described as a "chess smurf" by the organiser of tournament he was playing in?
I had to Google, so I suppose it would be cheating for me to give the answer.

Clue: it took me the longest possible time.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 pm

There are far more deflationary pressures on the system than inflationary ones at the moment. Admittedly, 2600+ players won't particularly feel them.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 am

"Trivia question for everyone - which one of these players was described as a "chess smurf" by the organiser of tournament he was playing in?"

It sounds like something Hans Olav Lahlum would say, so I would guess at the Norwegian representative. Hans Olav did refer to Anders Hobber (who was then a small junior) as "Norway's chess Hobbit". (This was meant and was taken in good part.)