Child Genius - the representation of chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: Child Genius - the representation of chess

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Right, so it's clear now - you are never going to shut up about this, are you? You are going to raise your grievance against AM for the next ten years or more on this forum, whilst refusing all efforts to mediate or to speak with him directly?

It is a shame that Carl won't warn you about this; perhaps he will in the future, after you have ruined another dozen threads. In the meantime I intend to start another thread soon about the Child Genius series and I would appreciate it if you do not ruin this one too.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Right, so it's clear now - you are never going to shut up about this, are you? You are going to raise your grievance against AM for the next ten years or more on this forum, whilst refusing all efforts to mediate or to speak with him directly?

It is a shame that Carl won't warn you about this; perhaps he will in the future, after you have ruined another dozen threads. In the meantime I intend to start another thread soon about the Child Genius series and I would appreciate it if you do not ruin this one too.
I do feel it is about time to move onwards with this one
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes, let's move towards considering whether we are in the realm of defamation of character.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I agree that the subject is dead and buried because it's obvious that Peter Williams (snr) does not want to listen any other point of view and just insults anyone who opposes his view. He also now states that he doesn't want to talk to Andrew Martin about the matter - therefore why keep bleating on about it apart from the fact of just wanting to publicise his own feelings.

One interesting comment from Peter Williams (snr) is his above reply to my earlier post was that his son would be "more than happy for them to come back and film him in 10 years time IF THE FEE IS RIGHT."

So, although he doesn't want the hassle of being filmed and possibly be subjected to more comments he dislikes, it seems his principles can be bought for the right price !

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Andrew, he comes across quite badly. He has one supporter who writes in riddles. All the 'sensible' people agree that your comments were innocuous.

Only one winner here, but time to move on.

Angus McDonald

Post by Angus McDonald » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Carl.

Do you wish people to move on here or do some posters get to get a late shot in?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi Angus.

"I think Geoff's picture of the Idyllic Schooltime is great but not every child has that
kind of recollection of School. For some children it is a time of torment."

Due to a divorce and a tug of love between my parents I went to 11 different primary schools.
(actually it was more like a push of love as neither of them wanted me..................joke.)

Being the only English kid in various Scottish Schools was a bit grim some days
but I was good at football so did not get bullied too much.

Yes my childhood was idyllic, I look back on it with great pleasure, happiest days of my life.
It's also the only childhood I have.

These days should be happy, carefree, safe and wonderful.
Parents should not be shaping their future at that age, parents should be seen and not heard.
They have done their bit, they produced an offspring(s) there next and ONLY job
is to make sure the child survives till it is 16 and then butt out.

I never bothered with my two, I work, I pay tax, that tax is used to educate them.
I believe in the state education system. It works. It's the best n the world.

Stewart keeps popping up with a name of of some clever dick who got home schooled.
For every one of his there will 1,000 even cleverer dicks who went to state school.

I never tried to guide mine at all. I never even got them baptised so in later lfe
if they fell in love with a muslim, hindu, jew or christian then religion would not stand in there way.

As long as they don't break the law or take drugs, and neither of them did. Then OK.
I certainly did not try to make them miniature versions of myself. (there can only be one me!)

"Some of the absolute bunkum they come out with in Schools today should be a national disgrace..."

This absolute bunkum is what they will face when they leave school as young adults.
They are being schooled to survive in the real world.
The world they are about to inhabit is absolute bunkum.

You cannot keep them at home, vet their small circle of friends and then expect them
to mix socially when they fly the nest.

For a start home schooled kids immune system will be very low.
Kids need to go to school to mix with other kids and catch all these diseases so
their young fit bodies can handle them.
If adults catch some of these kid diseases it can be fatal.

If I was in HR and scanning CV's and came across a home schooled applicant I'd toss it in the bin.
I want a team player, someone who will fit in.
Not a nervous amongst strangers walking sick note.

They will be off with mumps, tonsillitis, chicken pox, measles, German measles....
(with that one you break out in spots and have an overwhelming desire to invade Poland.)

Not to mention all the different strains of flu you must get a dose off to survive on this planet.

And where are they going to find work?
It's a hackneyed phrases but it's not what you know, it's who you know.
I am 100% living proof of that. Chess players got me my beautiful house and the last 5 jobs I've had.

And who do the parents of these home schoolers know?
They won't meet all the other mum's and dad's at the school gates.
I have made some great friends and contacts via my kids and meeting their pals parents.

My two got a leg-up to their first job from people I met at the school gates.
I asked them first, I did not push them.
If you don't like it leave, you are young, live, worry about what you going to do in old age when old age comes.
Infact the only advice I've ever given them is don't join a pension fund, (they are all bent.)

I could never see the point of making sure you have nice comfortable retirement by
saving money you could spend enjoying life whilst you can.
You retire a well off 65. Big deal.
You cannot get it up anymore, you cannot hold your beer and every living relation
you have is wanting you to die so they can get their hands on the money you
sqirrelled away when you should have been spending it.

And my last word about home schooling.

School re-unions.
What are they going to do? Go around to their Dad's house?

Angus McDonald

Post by Angus McDonald » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Geoff, apologies I hadn't read your post when I 'mentioned' late shots. I had mentioned you so I'm interested in your response.
I'll keep it brief though because Carl wishes people move on. Allthough I enjoy the humour in your posts, nearly always, this one just has an edge too much of prejudice imho.
Final point to Andrew. Peter junior was 14 when you were commenting to millions about him and his Schooling. OK! They asked you. If it had been me I'd have told them it's none of my business. :-)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Angus McDonald wrote:Do you wish people to move on here or do some posters get to get a late shot in?
A quick beer and there are even more posts so let me close this discussion down :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard