Is chess a matter of understanding or memory?
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm
Obviously the answer is 'yes'.
But which is more important? Or are the two inextricably linked?
When people train for the Asian game of Go, they memorise 100 professional games , they memorise tsumego (life and death problems).
Go is a very complicated game (deeper than chess in all honesty), and yet there is a place for rote memorisation in mastering it.
I keep reading that a top GM knows thousands and thousands of patterns of chess pieces.
The human long-term memory capacity is essentially infinite.
I have software which helps me remember huge amounts. It schedules prompts at appropriate times to prevent forgetting.
So here are two strategies for studying chess.
Strategy 1) Analyse some positions. But don't people forget their analysed variations after a week or so? Does that matter? If you learn to analyse, does it matter that you forget the results of individual analysis sessions? Just as if you learn to ride a bike, does it matter that you forget exactly where you rode it while you were learning?
Strategy 2) Memorise positions. Will that improve understanding? Or is chess such a game of recurring patterns that memory will play a useful part?
I have scraped 10,600 positions from various web sites and have programmed them basically as flash cards.
I intend to learn them by heart to the extent that I can tell you at once the answers to 90% of ones which come up. That is the standard the memory aid software can keep you at.
At the least it will be an interesting experiment.
Will my strength improve as a result of rote memorisation of chess positions?
I can keep you posted.
But which is more important? Or are the two inextricably linked?
When people train for the Asian game of Go, they memorise 100 professional games , they memorise tsumego (life and death problems).
Go is a very complicated game (deeper than chess in all honesty), and yet there is a place for rote memorisation in mastering it.
I keep reading that a top GM knows thousands and thousands of patterns of chess pieces.
The human long-term memory capacity is essentially infinite.
I have software which helps me remember huge amounts. It schedules prompts at appropriate times to prevent forgetting.
So here are two strategies for studying chess.
Strategy 1) Analyse some positions. But don't people forget their analysed variations after a week or so? Does that matter? If you learn to analyse, does it matter that you forget the results of individual analysis sessions? Just as if you learn to ride a bike, does it matter that you forget exactly where you rode it while you were learning?
Strategy 2) Memorise positions. Will that improve understanding? Or is chess such a game of recurring patterns that memory will play a useful part?
I have scraped 10,600 positions from various web sites and have programmed them basically as flash cards.
I intend to learn them by heart to the extent that I can tell you at once the answers to 90% of ones which come up. That is the standard the memory aid software can keep you at.
At the least it will be an interesting experiment.
Will my strength improve as a result of rote memorisation of chess positions?
I can keep you posted.