LONDON LEAGUE

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Gilbert

LONDON LEAGUE

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:27 pm

On Wednesday last week London League Clubs voted in favour of extending the division one conditions to the whole League. So next season the default on odd boards in all divisions will be a quick-play finish and on even boards the default will be adjournment (still known as “normal format”). Clubs also agreed a 10 grading points margin for shifting players between boards to help facilitate individual preferences. This had previously been included in guidance for captains but now becomes a League rule.

To my surprise Clubs also voted in favour of a new rule to allow a 15 grading points margin when nominating players. As the new rule is drafted it is now technically possible for a team to nominate twelve players with 185 ratings ahead of twelve players rated 200. Cavendish had originally proposed a 10 per cent margin, but that was lost to the amendment from the floor to make it 15 grading points.

The number of teams competing in the four divisions remains the same. Two teams withdrew from division four and were replaced by two new teams coming in. The popularity of the two Minor divisions continues to grow. Six new teams were elected on Wednesday. That means there will be ten teams in each division next season, playing a single, rather than a double, round.

John Hodgson

Re: LONDON LEAGUE

Post by John Hodgson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:24 pm

The AGM did vote to change the adjournment rules, as explained above.

However, the new rules around nominations and board order are not as described. The AGM voted to make the board order discretion 15 grading points, and the team nomination discretion 10 grading points. I have confirmed this with the President before posting.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:02 pm

John Hodgson wrote:The AGM did vote to change the adjournment rules, as explained above.

However, the new rules around nominations and board order are not as described. The AGM voted to make the board order discretion 15 grading points, and the team nomination discretion 10 grading points. I have confirmed this with the President before posting.
Apologies, I've got my numbers transposed - you're absolutely right.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:19 pm

It is quite a novel way of moving away from adjournments, having both available in the same match. Whose idea was that?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Any discussion about clubs with too many teams in the same division?

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:Any discussion about clubs with too many teams in the same division?
Just on defaults. There were some examples last season of two teams from the same Clubs taking double-defaults. Clubs voted that when this happens the exemptions over default points shall not apply.