Fischer Number

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Fischer Number

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Christopher >I once met Princess Diana as a child. Does that count?<

Whichever of you was the child (or both), certainly that would count. Definition of a young person: somebody ten years younger than oneself.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: But what is your number for the Queen? I have met Prince Phillip, but only shaking hands. What would the number be if I really wanted to communicate with her privately? Probably three via a politician.
Surely you must have a 2 through both Margaret Thatcher and Jim Callaghan. (World Championship Match 1986) Or have I misunderstood?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:04 pm

David S >Surely you must have a 2 through both Margaret Thatcher and Jim Callaghan. (World Championship Match 1986) Or have I misunderstood?<

Indeed yes. I just thought Prince Phillip was more direct. Neither Margaret Thatcher nor Lord Callaghan would now be much use as a contact. Lord Callaghan I grew to know quite well after 1986. You may have a more valuable true link via Prince Edward.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:05 pm

That means I have a link of 3 to the Queen. I knew having dinner with Stewart Reuben would be worth it's weight in platinum.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:But what is your number for the Queen? I have met Prince Phillip, but only shaking hands. What would the number be if I really wanted to communicate with her privately? Probably three via a politician.
One solid 3, plus several tenuous 2's.

At one time we saw quite a lot of a lady who'd been a paid companion to the late Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. (Plus I had a handshake/presentation in 1968 from the Duchess herself.)

Had a brief chat with Johnny Spencer (looking like his own gardener) while visiting Althorp in 1982.

Also well-acquainted with a couple of people who've been invested with honours by Her Maj personally.

[Edit, 4 Dec. Should have added that I once played Trivial Pursuit with David Lange (former PM of NZ). So another 2.]
Last edited by John Clarke on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Christopher >I once met Princess Diana as a child. Does that count?<

Whichever of you was the child (or both), certainly that would count. Definition of a young person: somebody ten years younger than oneself.
Prince Philip once swore at my dog. Does that count?

I'm pleased Stewart considers me to be young, having just read an article in which someone nine years younger than me was described as 'ancient'.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: But what is your number for the Queen?
I have a friend who works at Tower of London so I’m probably a 2. Definitely a 3 as she’s def met Duke of Edinburgh.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 pm

I would speculate that the majority of the country are at most a 2 for the Queen (as defined, say, as "met in a personal capacity" or had a two way conversation (however brief) - eg. receiving an honour). She does meet a lot of people.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Brief two way conversation would be too easy.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:58 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:But what is your number for the Queen? I have met Prince Phillip, but only shaking hands.
When I taught Maths back in the late 70's one or two of the teachers and a few of boys used to annoy the hell out of me by telling me I looked like Prince Charles. I was born in Jos, Nigeria in 1956. Did the Queen and, more to the point, Prince Phillip visit Nigeria in 1955? If not, one of my old mates from university met Prince Harry on a charity golf event a few weeks ago.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:43 pm

For elderly forum members still having sleepless nights because their MN is not low enough, I have a possible solution. (Edward) Douglas Fawcett (1866-1960) was an MN 2, having played James Mortimer several times in the 1900s. He was still active up to the end of his life, for example playing in the Hastings Congress of 1959/60. Bob Jones wrote an excellent article about Fawcett on his Keverel blog some years ago. In the 1957/58 Hastings Congress Fawcett played three players (PR Vivian, MW Wills and MJ Freeman) whom I have subsequently played myself (although I am already an MN 4 via another route). And I garnered three more via the the 1955/56 Hastings. MN 4 isn't too difficult for players active in chess from the late 1960s.

Fawcett also provides a direct link to Steinitz and Pillsbury. Bob Jones quotes Bruce Hayden in BCM...
BCM, Oct 1958, p268 wrote:Of the veteran players, ninety-two year old Mr. Douglas Fawcett, of London, played some good games in the earlier rounds, and delighted everyone with his reminiscences of Pillsbury and his first game with Steinitz, which he played in 1879(!)”.
Fawcett lost a game to Ken Whyld in 1950 and referred to it in the November 1998 CHESS...

Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
But what is your number for the Queen? I have met Prince Phillip, but only shaking hands.
Mine's one. :lol: :lol:

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:15 pm

As is mine. :D :D :D

I bought an even smarter suit than usual for the occasion. Plus lunch afterwards at Claridge's for the entire family. Plus taxis to and from home. Cost me an arm and a leg. :( :( :(

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 pm

Mike. Ae you now thus disabled?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35 pm

The suit is a bit baggier now. :lol: