2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Camp

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

Post by Andrew Camp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:58 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Joey Stewart wrote:I was wondering something - why does kosten play in the british, he does not live here and I am not sure he ever has, is it just that he is such a familiar face on our circuit they make a special exception for him?
I will have a stab in the dark on this one, but maybe it is because he was born in this country and most likely lived in this country longer than yourself, before emigrating to France
:D
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Michael Yeo

Post by Michael Yeo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:05 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
John Cox wrote:Now that’s a strange thing. Ten minutes ago Yeo-Kosten had started early with 1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 e6 3 Nc3 b6. Now it’s started again with 1 e4 e5. Is mine the only computer showing that? Some kind of test?
Yes, and the computer passed, knowing full well that the real Mike Yeo would never play 1 d4

He has been known to play 1.d4, most notably with his last 2 Whites at the British in Torquay in 2009!
He should also have played 40.Rxb6 since 40....Nd7 fails to 41.e6.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 am

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:Not sure if I am posting this in the correct place...

to the powers that be, just a quick message to let you know that on the junior live games it said Wang Wang instead of Anna Wang....
Thanks for that Krishna.

Just to let everyone know, that if anyone spots a mistake on the web or the live games, please let us know via the British Championships contact email address - [email protected]. There will be someone monitoring this throughout each day and they will go direct to the person responsible. We will then get back to you with a reply.

Any feedback also appreciated to the above email address.

Many thanks.

David Clayton

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Jean Luc's name comes from having a French mother :) (as opposed to a parental star trek addiction.). Hence also his brother Pierre. He's off to University this year which I'd imagine will be down south somewhere.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:10 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Jean Luc's name comes from having a French mother :) (as opposed to a parental star trek addiction.). Hence also his brother Pierre. He's off to University this year which I'd imagine will be down south somewhere.
I believe it's Cambridge pending the right grades.

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:18 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:Jean Luc's name comes from having a French mother :) (as opposed to a parental star trek addiction.). Hence also his brother Pierre. He's off to University this year which I'd imagine will be down south somewhere.
Speaking of grades, his January 2013 grade was higher than that of some titled players 8) Admittedly, he's gone down on the latest list (maybe he's been concentrating on A-levels?).

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:
Bad news for Oxford if it happens since Cambridge will then be able to field Yang-Fan Zhou, Samuel Franklin and Weller in the 2014 Varsity match.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Eric Gardiner wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:
Speaking of grades, his January 2013 grade was higher than that of some titled players 8) Admittedly, he's gone down on the latest list (maybe he's been concentrating on A-levels?).
Nice segue :lol:

I don't really intend to start a debate on grades (not here anyway) but a lot of players' grades have been moving around ~20 points between lists since we moved to 6-month grading periods, so it might just be a volatility issue rather than a playing strength issue.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:51 pm

It could be that. I wonder if he was still calculated as a junior on this list? The list gives his age but as 18. The post calculation bonuses are only listed up to age 17 in the notes. His yearly Yorkshire grades have been increasing very steadily over the past three years: 192, 201, 209.

Anyway, yes, not a good idea to get badly sidetracked here :)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:
Bad news for Oxford if it happens since Cambridge will then be able to field Yang-Fan Zhou, Samuel Franklin and Weller in the 2014 Varsity match.
Also IM Daniel Fernandez.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm

I must say, I like the disclaimer on the live boards that asks us to please note that games will only become available as they are played.

I'm not sure what the alternative would have been, but still, it's good to be reassured on this point.

Matthew Carr

Post by Matthew Carr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Afternoon everyone

The main hall webcam is now live and the livegames are about to start.

Find the webcam at www.livestream.com/ecfwebcam

Live games available at: http://englishchess.org.uk/BCC/live-games/

Have a fun afternoon

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 pm

John Cox wrote:I must say, I like the disclaimer on the live boards that asks us to please note that games will only become available as they are played.

I'm not sure what the alternative would have been, but still, it's good to be reassured on this point.
That's ruined my 'Bet in Play' scheme.

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 pm

I assume Chris Ward hasn't just blundered a pawn on move 8 and the idea is 8... Bc5 9. Ne4 Bd4 10. Nf3 Nxe5 11. Nxd4 Qxd4 12. Be3 "with compensation"?