2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
ThomasThorpe

Re: 2013 British Chess Championships (Torquay)

Post by ThomasThorpe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm currently sitting next to the live games manager Matthew Carr. He is working frantically at fixing this game, and the moves are now up to date. Please ignore clock times for that game as they are inaccurate.

At this precise moment in time:
White has 36 minutes
Black has 42 minutes

ThomasThorpe

Post by ThomasThorpe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Scrap that, they've agreed a draw!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:59 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:It's a shame that Sarah Hegarty's game seems to have frozen - or has her opponent forfeited also? ;)
Agreed, very frustrating :cry:
Moves now updated and agreed drawn

Matthew Carr

Post by Matthew Carr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:00 pm

ThomasThorpe wrote:Scrap that, they've agreed a draw!
And Matthew can breath again. Sorry for the disruption ladies and gentlemen.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Another potential collector's item: when was the last time the top board in the final round of the British Championships was the last game to finish?

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Matthew Carr wrote:
And Matthew can breath again. Sorry for the disruption ladies and gentlemen.
Thanks Matthew!
So the title is shared then?

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm

ThomasThorpe wrote:I'm currently sitting next to the live games manager Matthew Carr...
If you are still there, could you ask Matthew to check the finish to Batchelor-Talbot. If the game finished as given, the last two moves are blunders...

This might also break the record for the world's shortest ever successful R+B v R endgame. Eat your heart out, Keith Arkell...
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

John Saunders wrote:
ThomasThorpe wrote:I'm currently sitting next to the live games manager Matthew Carr...
If you are still there, could you ask Matthew to check the finish to Batchelor-Talbot. If the game finished as given, the last two moves are blunders...

This might also break the record for the world's shortest ever successful R+B v R endgame. Eat your heart out, Keith Arkell...
I had a very similar motif in one of my games:

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Round 11 Report

Includes a Round-up of all the Events to finish today!

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Major Open?

Why?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 pm

I hope everyone enjoyed the hosting as it takes a lot of effort to bring you that many boards.

Your rather unsung heroes are Dave Clayton and Matthew Carr so offer them your thanks or even a beer if ever you meet them face to face.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 pm

John Cox wrote:
Aha - Nigel S - that accounts for it. He's always had a bee in his bonnet on this matter since his absurd behaviour at the Isle of Man a few years ago. Even so, you'd think even the ECF could restrain him from this sort of nonsense - no, sorry, what am I saying?!
I disagree with Dr Short on a lot of things but I happen to think he was right on this one. In top level chess preparation is important and failure to do so may lead to loss of income and loss of rating points that may lead to less invitations to events. We won't attract elite players to events by treating them like minor section entrants whose main priority is getting a game of chess.

It's ironic that the main complaint levelled at English tournament chess is amateurishness.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
John Cox wrote:
Aha - Nigel S - that accounts for it. He's always had a bee in his bonnet on this matter since his absurd behaviour at the Isle of Man a few years ago. Even so, you'd think even the ECF could restrain him from this sort of nonsense - no, sorry, what am I saying?!
I disagree with Dr Short on a lot of things but I happen to think he was right on this one. In top level chess preparation is important and failure to do so may lead to loss of income and loss of rating points that may lead to less invitations to events. We won't attract elite players to events by treating them like minor section entrants whose main priority is getting a game of chess.

It's ironic that the main complaint levelled at English tournament chess is amateurishness.
I agree with Nigel and you on this one, but please be a little more careful not to make quite such sweeping statements without qualifying, about minor section entrants (presuming this includes all grade limited sort of players) :) Personally I know that I and quite a few people I know try to prepare conscientiously as part of the tournament experience. Though it is certainly fair to say that for as many of us who do this, there are just as many who might either see it as a vulgarity against the test of skill of a game on its own, and those who would find the effort unrewarding compared to the holiday experience.

It would be inappropriate of me to comment on amateurishness for a few reasons though, but why do you consider it ironic? :)

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: Batchelor, Peter (2118)
Talbot, Mark (2194)
? 1-0

I think Mark was just shattered at the end of 11 hard matches and due to things going wrong. He'd had a draw in the bag, and even turned a draw offer down as he wanted to go for the win, which is why he gave up his bishop for the pawns to create some winning chances. When things started going wrong he just felt flat and tired. He missed the stalemate as did I.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 pm

And conversely, I'm much closer to the professional level, but I'd always accept a re-pairing without question and be disappointed if I were not offered one in the relevant situation. But then, I'm looking at this from the perspective of a norm-seeker, not that of a super-GM.