Stopping Cheating

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Stopping Cheating

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:25 pm

I just had a revelation about how we can stop cheating in our game - is there some sort of way we can destroy the men who are programming these new strong chess engines. If they ceased to exist then the age of computer dominance would end, and we could go back to proper games again without the constant worry of being skanked.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Reg Clucas

Re: Stopping Cheating

Post by Reg Clucas » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Too late, the software is already out there, and has no further use for the people who wrote it....the machines will take over the world!!! Unless we can figure out a way to send a 'Terminator' back in time......

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Anti-cheating measures are getting desperate - this is a Thai university exam.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Was the subject Origami by any chance?

My green belt requires renewing I fear.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:26 am

That's one hell of a picture!

I'll alert Michael Gove immediately. He's bound to be interested

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 am

It is a serious point though, if the engines are being made more powerful and easily accessible then cheating is made easier and easier. Drugs are banned in sports for the same reason, so why couldn't it work for Chess.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:Too late, the software is already out there, and has no further use for the people who wrote it....the machines will take over the world!!! Unless we can figure out a way to send a 'Terminator' back in time......
:D

If you send a terminator back, then what if his arm accidently gets severed and then people find this and become technologically advanced even quicker and then the chess engines are even stronger and then the terminators have even more CGI effects and become liquid metal and then the world just self implodes because of all the paradoxes....I think there is just too much risk.....

We should all just stop playing chess with immediate effect....to be safe...:)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:36 am

I have started having my body parts replaced electronically. I intend to continue until I am completely electronic. Several people have commented this will be a great improvement and have asked me to hurry up. There is nothing in the Laws of Chess against this.

Mobile phones are alien beings intent on taking over the world. Our only defensive is that they are physically disabled, being deaf. They must be, because people are always shouting into them.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 am

a recent ongoing case in Ireland is not doing the cause of stopping cheating much good when a sub-committee wishes to let a cheater off scot free after having been caught red handed in a toilet cubicle with a computer tablet.

http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/blog/

what kind of message does this sent out? It's ok to cheat if you have a lawyer representing you as he is bound to get you off the hook with legal threats etc....

Sabestien Feller all over again.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

Martin Crichton wrote: what kind of message does this sent out? It's ok to cheat if you have a lawyer representing you as he is bound to get you off the hook with legal threats etc....
In some circumstances, cheating at a game or sport for monetary reward can be considered fraud and thus a crime.

Is it known whether this was really a first offence as claimed? This is where you need the witch finders to look at the actual games, although intermittent use isn't that detectable.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:a recent ongoing case in Ireland is not doing the cause of stopping cheating much good when a sub-committee wishes to let a cheater off scot free after having been caught red handed in a toilet cubicle with a computer tablet.

http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/blog/

what kind of message does this sent out? It's ok to cheat if you have a lawyer representing you as he is bound to get you off the hook with legal threats etc....

Sabestien Feller all over again.
Thanks for pointing that out. A link to that should be added to the original thread.

This bit was interesting: "The ICU is in a state of paralysis, confusion and division".

You would hope the ECF would not end up like that in a similar situation...

PS. The full link to the blog in question is:

http://www.irishchesscogitations.com/bl ... d-opinion/

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:46 am

And this proves my point a thousand times over, if the engines were not available then this sort of cheating could not even be contemplated.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:11 am

Joey Stewart wrote:And this proves my point a thousand times over, if the engines were not available then this sort of cheating could not even be contemplated.
You could get an earlier version. This is where the weaker player consults with a stronger player. That also has long been forbidden and was never any use to master strength players.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Roger >This is where the weaker player consults with a stronger player. That also has long been forbidden and was never any use to master strength players.<
It has been alleged this was the system used to enable Spain to beat England in 1986.