Fritz 13 query :: playing back variations

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Anthony Appleyard

Fritz 13 query :: playing back variations

Post by Anthony Appleyard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:51 am

If I have played a game with Fritz 13, is there a way of auto-analyzing it, so that when I play the game back, I can make the displayed board follow an analyzed variation instead of the played line?

Nick Murphy

Re: Fritz 13 query :: playing back variations

Post by Nick Murphy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Hit the "infinite analysis" button. This will start the engine thinking on the current board position until you stop it. If you make a move, the engine will instantly start analysing the new position.

There's a host of other analysis functions. Check out the help files for "analysis" first of all...
The Voice of Chessbase:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6105
Hendon Chess Club / Golders Green Rapidplay
http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com
"I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will..."

Anthony Appleyard

Post by Anthony Appleyard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 pm

I meant: if I play a game, Fritz 13 may store it.

Then, I can tell Fritz to analyse it. The game move display then shows the analysis variations as well as the played moves.

Then, I can replay the game later, using the left and right arrows below the board. But, when replaying the game, when I come to a move where a variation starts, how can I make the move-redisplayer follow the variation instead of following the played moves?

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 am

Anthony Appleyard wrote:... when I come to a move where a variation starts, how can I make the move-redisplayer follow the variation instead of following the played moves?
Click on the 1st move of the variation and you will move into that variation.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Barry Sandercock

Re: Fritz 13 query ::

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:08 am

Can anyone tell me how to find "TOOLS " menu on Fritz 13 ? I don't think my version has it, but surely it must be hiding there somewhere. My problem with Fritz 13 is that when I'm trying to find something, I press a key and most of the screen disappears and it take me about 20 minutes to get it back. Fritz 13 is formidable !

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:Can anyone tell me how to find "TOOLS " menu on Fritz 13 ? I don't think my version has it, but surely it must be hiding there somewhere. My problem with Fritz 13 is that when I'm trying to find something, I press a key and most of the screen disappears and it take me about 20 minutes to get it back. Fritz 13 is formidable !
Barry,

The Fritz 13 GUI does not have a Tools menu as such but it does have other drop downs. What is it you are wishing to do?

The Chessbase GUI does have a Tools menu.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Not to worry. I am getting used to it now. Thanks all the same.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:24 pm

I am having trouble with Fritz 13 again. On the screen I have the notation of a game in my database, But the board has now disappeared. Is there an easy way to get it back ? I tried pressing a few keys and then the internet and emails disappeared !
Fortunately, I got them back by turning the computer off. But Fritz is still being troublesome.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:02 pm

All's well now ! I've finally got the board back on the screen Fritz 13 is the trickiest programme I have come across, does anyone else have trouble with it ?
Anthony Appleyard, how are you getting on with it ?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 pm

"Anthony Appleyard, how are you getting on with it ?"

How about both you tossing that worthless piece of junk in the garbage can.
Get out a book and chessboard and return to the land of the living.

What book?

Endgame Tactics by van Perlo.

http://www.amazon.com/Endgame-Tactics-C ... 9056911686

A book someone has been trying to push onto me for a while and I've always said I'm not at all interested.
Eventually I took it.

If only they had this in the late 70's. I would have been an end game buff.
The pefect mixture of instruction and humour. Simply perfect.

I lay my lack of end game technique clearly at the feet of every other endgame author
for not making this aspect of the game more entertaining.
Their dry, frigid and humourless prose made studying the endgame seem like a boring chore.

I have to give this copy back, anybody got a copy they wish to sell?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi Barry & Geoff,

I am starting to suspect that A. A. may be a bot - one testing human responses to m/c problems.
Did Carl do the proper diligence on him, I wonder, give him some squiggly letters to type, etc.

John

PS I suggest that Geoff offer Catherine Glynn his entire collection of romantic chess books for a copy of Endgame Tactics by van Perlo. (She was just looking for chess fiction on the forum - I almost told her that the forum is chess fiction because you couldn't make up most of what comes out on here. I then realised that the forum is just as much friction as fiction!)

Edit: The thread below convinces me that Anthony Appleyard is 99.99% human, which is more than I -

Start of the modern move of the queen