Does your play improve with alcohol consumption?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Does your play improve with alcohol consumption?

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:05 am

Hi all, I've thought for sometime that if I have one or two beers before a match I play better chess. I think it's because I approach the game in a more relaxed frame of mind and enjoy it more. I'm not talking about large amounts of alcohol here, as that will obviously reduce your ability to compete, but in general, a little alcohol before a game generally helps.

Does anyone have similar thoughts/ experiences?

John Swain

Re: Does your play improve with alcohol consumption?

Post by John Swain » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:29 am

MJMcCready wrote:Hi all, I've thought for sometime that if I have one or two beers before a match I play better chess. I think it's because I approach the game in a more relaxed frame of mind and enjoy it more. I'm not talking about large amounts of alcohol here, as that will obviously reduce your ability to compete, but in general, a little alcohol before a game generally helps.

When I was a student, many moons ago, the university chess club's social secretary's job included the task of arranging 'pint-a-point' tournaments. We would play blitz, 5 minutes or 10 minutes on the clock (my memory is understandably hazy!) and the winner would drink a pint before the next round. There were seven rounds and some players' chess seemed to get better the more they drank. I remember one player, now a well-known IM, who could drink us all under the table.

Needless to say, some players could hold their beer better than others and the resulting "mess" got us banned from a succession of college facilities!

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 am

Players who tend to get too tense during the game could benefit from it. But I only get tense during the last phase of the game, when the alcohol effect would have receded. In the beginning of the game I am too lax. I benefit from nicotine (e-cigarettes). The most important psychological factor in chess is to engage in the game and become truly interested in the position. As soon as I get slightly lazy and disinterested, I will make a mistake. I don't think alcohol improves this factor. This strange phenomenon, that we can focus our attention on 64 squares, as if we are playing for our lives, is a transcendental mystery of the human psyche. Aljechin is said to have played for his life in a game against Leon Trotsky. If he won he would be released from prison, otherwise he would be executed. I don't know how much truth there is in this story, but it sounds plausible. Trotsky was both a mass-murderer and a strong chess player. I remember a time in my life when I had personal problems which bore down heavily on me. But during a game of chess, this weight on my shoulders seemed to evaporate for a time, which was a great relief. It was like chess allowed me to transcend reality and stand aside from it. This had a pronounced therapeutic effect. Swedish GM Erik Lundin once used chess in a therapeutic project aimed against alcohol abuse. It worked very well, except in terms of funding. Alcohol is a hideous poison. One shouldn't drink more than a schnapps a day. The pub culture of the Brits must have very detrimental effects.
/Mats

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 am

MJMcCready wrote:Hi all, I've thought for sometime that if I have one or two beers before a match I play better chess. I think it's because I approach the game in a more relaxed frame of mind and enjoy it more. I'm not talking about large amounts of alcohol here, as that will obviously reduce your ability to compete, but in general, a little alcohol before a game generally helps.

I suggest a visit to Bunratty to gather research on the subject :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:I suggest a visit to Bunratty to gather research on the subject :)
Some Lichfield players were always easy to locate before a Staffordshire county match :shock:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:07 am

Check out the London League Div 1. One club stands out by its multiple presence there ;) (with tongue ever so slightly in cheek)
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

John Swain wrote: When I was a student, many moons ago, the university chess club's social secretary's job included the task of arranging 'pint-a-point' tournaments. We would play blitz, 5 minutes or 10 minutes on the clock (my memory is understandably hazy!) and the winner would drink a pint before the next round. There were seven rounds and some players' chess seemed to get better the more they drank. I remember one player, now a well-known IM, who could drink us all under the table.

Needless to say, some players could hold their beer better than others and the resulting "mess" got us banned from a succession of college facilities!
Pint-a-point tournaments are still going strong here at Bristol, though I never perform well in them myself...
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 am

A cautionary tale. I played in a match against Drunken Knights at their premises a few years ago. My opponent was late, so I started drinking before he did. At the time I made the fatal error that lost the game, I had consumed 3 pints of beer to his 2 pints. Of course, other factors such as alcohol tolerance levels may have been relevant.

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:41 am

Yes!

Some years back David Levens called me a 'pub player' - I regard that as a compliment!

Hey John, we could fix it so that we play against each other when Gambit 1 plays Gambit 2 in 3 weeks time; how about 1/2 pint every time a piece is taken?

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 am

Interesting question that I can't answer with any accuracy, all I know is, I've sometimes got up in the morning and whilst checking my emails, noticed I had played the night before on FICS and did not remember doing so, and when I have replayed the game through, saying wow! Not always though, sometimes I just got clobbered.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 am

I once played in a league match against an opponent who drank one or two pints of a dark beverage before the game. He quaffed a few more during the game. Late in the opening I remember fancying my chances - not because of the position on the board, but because I hoped that his refreshment was Guinness! Unfortunately, his performance seemed not in the least diminished by his consumption, and he wiped me off the board in about thirty moves. I never did discover what the dark beverage was ...

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 am

John Townsend wrote:I once played in a league match against an opponent who drank one or two pints of a dark beverage before the game. He quaffed a few more during the game. Late in the opening I remember fancying my chances - not because of the position on the board, but because I hoped that his refreshment was Guinness! Unfortunately, his performance seemed not in the least diminished by his consumption, and he wiped me off the board in about thirty moves. I never did discover what the dark beverage was ...
Maybe it was Guinness but laced with Fritz nanites! :idea:
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Steven Gardner

Post by Steven Gardner » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:04 pm

My standard of play is definitely inversely proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. I just lose all motivation to calculate, and I'm much more likely to say to myself "stuff it, let's see if it works". It often doesn't!

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:Yes!

Some years back David Levens called me a 'pub player' - I regard that as a compliment!

Hey John, we could fix it so that we play against each other when Gambit 1 plays Gambit 2 in 3 weeks time; how about 1/2 pint every time a piece is taken?
That's quite an idea, Drag, but I'd need to do some serious "training"! :wink: Alternatively, we could just agree a "grandmaster draw" and head for the bar ...

Nevil Chan

Post by Nevil Chan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:50 am

"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."