Chess-playing MP?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Chess-playing MP?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

James Toon wrote:Jesse Norman describes himself as a "keen chess player". See this news item from his website in 2008, where he played in a simul against Spassky and also met Kasparov.
The article mentions his son. There's a player with the right name in the grading list under Eton College.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:23 pm

John Foley wrote: David Cameron declared that he completed Angry Birds, which is not without intellectual challenge
I played it once. After a couple of minutes the five-year-old to whom it belonged took it off me declaring that it was obviously too difficult for me.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
John Foley wrote:David Cameron declared that he completed Angry Birds, which is not without intellectual challenge
I played it once. After a couple of minutes the five-year-old to whom it belonged took it off me declaring that it was obviously too difficult for me.
Haha, I would have loved to have seen that. :lol:
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:29 pm

David Cameron has been making a joke at Rachel Reeves expense

On Rachel Reeves
“Very sorry she can’t be here but…. Oh, sorry, I’ve seem to have dropped off. She’s helping out with the A&E winter crisis. There’s a chronic shortage of anaesthetists in parts of London and she’s dealing with the most difficult cases."

That and the rest of his jokes are available here
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/matth ... sts-boris/

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:04 pm

The normal advice in such situations is "don't give up the day job", but for some reason one hesitates to proffer that in this instance :lol:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Colin S Crouch

Post by Colin S Crouch » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:40 am

And talking of David Cameron dropping off, does this help explain how the Conservatives have lost so much support to UKIP? :lol:

Which leads to one of the more colourful MEPs, Godfrey Bloom, once of UKIP, now an independent. He is famous, or infamous, for saying that women can't play chess, and bemoaning sluts who don't clean their fridge. Also many other gems.

In discussing gender quotas in work, he notes that "Chess, bridge, poker - women come absolutely nowhere. I think that just has to be borne in mind." Discusss. Clearly Bloom has had some knowledge, if secondhand, about chess.